Monday, June 25, 2007

Big Bait = Big Fish !!

Time is going fast again. Rain + sun = lots of mowing. Yep, yard needs it about twice week right now. So I sharpened the ol' mower blade, filled the gas can, and resigned myself to staring at the ass end of a push mower a lot.

Not traveling far from home, but at least I'm traveling.Orlando last week. Miami next week. Soon, I hope to go somewhere cool. Call me Shakeria if you must, but..."Whenever, wherever". I'll tell you one thing, George Hamilton's got nothing on me. I am one tan mutt, for sure. I don't worry about the skin cancer. I grew up shirtless and shoeless in coastal Carolina. Before we even knew whart skin cancer was. So I either already gave it to myself or I am immune. Either way...

Late June...Florida.... ninety plus degrees and humid. Those are the conditions that had to be met before my A/C crapped the bed on me. You know how you contemplate major purchases a little while, weigh the pros and cons of waiting a little before buying? That doesn't really apply when you lose A/C during a Florida summer. You want that sucker replaced. Either now or yesterday! I have the guy coming out today for an estimate. And yes, I am taking donations to the "Save Ed's Sweaty Ass" fund to help me pay for it. Kids... send in your coins. Mom & Dad, folding money, please.

We Flea Marketed in Oldsmar Sunday. Kinda boring, really, for a flea market. But it was big. 4 1/2 acres of cheap crap. I bought a bunch of fishing gear, a nice travel humidor for my cigars, and a bottle of lychee wine from Thailand. I had to try it. I used to get lychee chu-hi in Japan and was most impressed. I don't know about the wine, but was willing to shell out $11 to see. Besides, after the second or third glass, taste becomes much more of an arbitary thing.

I used to use crappie the size of my hand as bait in the Louisiana farm ponds. That's illegal most places, including , probably, Louisiana. But Louisiana law is more suggestion than actual law. I digress.

I'd get me up a big ol' crappie, hook him under the dorsal fin, row him out to the middle and drop him in with a bobber the size of a softball about 3 feet up the line. then I'd row back to shore and wait. That big old softball size bobber would get to twitching and I'd know my crappie was getting nervous. When it would just glide down udner the surface and stay, I'd stand up and pick up my rod....patience....take a drag on my Camel....patience....exhale....another drag.... patience...count to four and....YANK! like the dickens. That crappie would be so far down the gullet of that big old bass. One day I caught 2 eights and a ten pounder like that. In less than a half hour. Of course, my mother-in-law, Geraldine, didn't have a camera, so...

But that set the theory of big bait, big fish forever in my brain. See below:

Fish and whistle, whistle and fish
eat everything that they put on your dish, out
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the positive side, you're probably getting plenty of Vitamin D out there in the sunshine.

Have you ever heard of these things called riding mowers, R' Ed? They're pretty darned handy and fast, too. You ought to look into it.

Is that a Texas Rapala?

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home