Thursday, June 07, 2007

Weakly Reader


Had a very short week last week, with a Monday holiday and a Friday off. Got the batteries recharged. Had some rain so I went on a planting spree. Hate to plant during a drought since it seems less like gardening than an execution. But we're good now.

Been diging up and repairing/replacing my underground irrigation system. I'm not normally too handy around the house, but hey, running a pvc pipe from point A to point B is pretty easy. And all you really need is a hacksaw and some glue to do the job. And, of course, some pvc pipe. But that goes without saying, which is why I didn't say it.

I really need to tell you about fishing last week. It'll take a while, which is why it hasn't been done yet, but it includes...and none of this is embellished... 3 fish in the boat but none of them hitting our lures and a gator on the line. One part of me, I suppose my artistic self, was taking pictures as DRE played the gator. Another part of me, which would be knees, ankles, and especially hands, was shaking uncontrollably at the thought of yanking one pissed off alligator into the confines of a small fishing boat. Like I said, a story that needs time to be told.

Took a boat ride down the Alafia River yesterday. It is still "old Florida" and it does put me at peace. Need more of that in life, peace. And quiet.

Neices and nephew are here as part of my semi-annual reminder of why I didn't want kids. On the one hand kids can be pretty cool, but on the other hand they suck. I'm not real tolerant of things that suck, that's why I couldn't take the chance. Besides, what if they turned out to really be a chip off the old block? I already know what a pain in the ass I was growing up. Why would I knowingly subject myself to the same thing?

Gandy 7 June 2007

Doing fine. Doing time. Doing like you do.
So you drove on down to Tampa for a different kind of view.
Not so much ‘bout leaving as just moving on
Shuffled out to Gandy where you used to always come

The sand is warm and soft,
But it ain’t all that clean
That might be just about
The perfect metaphor, I think

We’re different crimes from different places
And lonely lives in crowed spaces
Fading smiles on painted faces
But still, we do get by

Drawn too close to say we don’t care
We never meant to never be there
Just seemed to always end up elsewhere
But yeah, we still get by

The sun beats down on Tampa, gets all hot and mean
People on the east side get as crazy as you’ll see
It’s not so much I missed you as I want you here with me
And it’s not so much the heat; it’s all the damn stupidity

The night is warm and wet
It feels a lot like tears
And it’d be easy to let go,
Like you know I ain’t done in years

We’re wandering souls and easy lovers
Flung together. Torn asunder.
Yeah, sometimes it makes me wonder
Just how we all get by

No jealousy beneath the surface
It just never seemed that worth it
I’ve found love is where the hurt is
But still, we do get by

Doing fine and doing time. Doing like we do
In the shadows of the palm trees lives your random point of view
It ain’t so much ‘bout leaving as just moving on
Like that moment there on Gandy you could tell the moment’s gone

Ed
St. Pete

"So tell me, Boy, how can you live in South Florida AND be scared of bugs?"
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Glad to hear you got some relaxing time there, R' Ed. Although, I personally wouldn't consider fishing in a 'gator hole in any boat under 48' in length. But, that's just me.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Wow! Nice Chic!

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home