Sunday, November 25, 2007

I was /am / are a simple man



Don't know how much longer I'll be around. I don't have an agenda or timeline, but I do have that itchy feeling. It's just a matter of time now.

It's a bunch of little things. But they begin to add up. Like body blows to a fighter. No single blow is all that hard to absorb, but over time they sap you. I am a believer that life should be user friendly. A view that I am afraid is not shared by those around me. However, I am not one to "make do". If I can't make my round life fit into a square hole, I suppose I'll have to find a different hole. Don't let your mind wander into vulgarity over my analogy.

John Warner passed a law that takes effect Jan 1. It makes my medical insurance supplement illegal. Or rather, it makes my employer's contribution to it illegal. I served 26 years, in part to get 2* things: A retirement check every month until I die and access to medical insurance for life. And, apparently, they are happy to provide the insrance. They just loathe that I choose to use it.
I'll explain. See, I work. And medical insurance is made available to me through the company. But it costs a lot more than my Tricare. So the government thinks that it would be better (for them) if I were to take that, instead of the cheaper and more comprehensive Tricare. But, as they say on the playgound, "you can't make me!" Now, my company also provides a Tricare supplement that takes care of co-pays and all that, making my health care 100% covered. That supplement costs me $12 per month.

John Warner, another of them troop-supporting good old boys in the GOP, sponsored legislation saying that those supplements make using Tricare too tempting, and outlawed employer contributions. Oh, I can still keep the supplement, I just have to pay $119 per month out of my pocket, rather than $144 per year. It pisses me off to be given a benefit only under the stipulation that I don't really use it. I didn't sign up, raise my right hand, and collect my paycheck and then mention after the fact that, "Oh by the way, those 14+ years at sea....I don't plan to actually DO them."

So I stoppedat the Arco station in Sacramento on the way to return my rental car. Gas was $3.39, which gave me pause, even though it was company money. What happened next was, to me, surreal. First off, the Robo-pump would only take MasterCard or Visa. That is unusual. But when I swiped my MasterCard Debit card to pay for the gas, a window popped up informing me that there was a 45 cent surcharge and inquiring if I would like to continue. So, if I have this right, I need to pay you 45 cents for the priveledge of buying overpriced gas??? You know that is a trend that will only continue unless we take up torches and pitchforks, and attack it like the Frakenstien idea that it is.

The thought crossed my mind that I might should move to southern Sudan. I mean I am, after all, a southern boy. But them crazy dudes are people after my own heart. I guess oil is making them all a lot of money. And the neuvo rich in southern Sudan are kicking it like rednecks with money. I quote the local paper when I say: "Much of the newfound wealth inJuba, caital of South Sudan, goes to beer and motorcycles." What's not to love about the place?

F*** Me Pumps




You Know I'm No Good





Reelin' in the years, out
Ramblin' Ed
*OK, the other part of my decision to stay 26 years involved soft girls and hard liquor. I told you I was a simple man.

3 comments:

Blogger A.G.T. said...

It makes you think neither party's worth a damn. The Repubs dick the vets with legislation like that while the Dems refuse to open more Fed lands for oil exploration and we all pay thru the nose for fuel.

Makes a man consider joining the Libertarians. No wait, that's Ron Paul's bunch.

I guess it's time to join Timothy Leary's party, just drop out.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I think McCain is the straight shooter in the bunch. I mean, like it or loathe it, he says what he thinks is right.

Now voting for him? hmmmm, not so sure about that.

If Ruth from the last post is who I think it is, and I figure since she used my wife's name (and you know I never use real names in my posts)she must be, she's not so popular around here. Maybe if she picked up the phone it would be different. But anyway, yes, I was making the skies above and around Sacramento safe for the traveling public for the last few days.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I don't know about that Winehouse girl.

The Tricare deal worry's me. I am covered by Tricare until the 31'st. I can have it after that for $85 a month, $253 if I had a family. Which, I'd like to have but that is beside the point. It would cover much more than my Health Savings account though my civillain employer. I could also use funds from my HSA to cover my portion of a bill. I did this summer.

Ed, you are right. This won't change until we break out the pitch forks. Like the Southern Bitch song (no Youtube video:( "Mark Of The Beast"...I'd say more, but it's work time

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home