Saturday, December 15, 2007

Favorite Sailor Songs

As you know, Ramblin' Ed is a squid from way back. Soon, if I can find 'em, I'll post my favorite sailor poems I wrote. In the meantime, these are all songs that inspired me. Obviously, this one has to be #1

Brandy



This is a strong #2. I always have wished that I had written it. I know I could have.

Southern Cross

Son of a Son of a Sailor

OK, I apologize. This is a cover, as there was no original to be found on YouTube. The words are almost right. Right enough that you can get the gist. Ol' boy shoulda speeded it up a beat or two also. Oh well, whatdya want for free? (There wasn't even a cover of Buffett's "Cowboy in the Jungle", which I always felt was my own personal theme song. otherwise, it would surely be proudly posted here.)

Take The Star out of the Window

There's a cowboy in the jungle

and he looks so out of place

with his snakeskin boots and his cheap cheroots, out

Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Was Brandy one of those one-hit-wonders?

8:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I'v been home for six months now and my mother ain't took that star out of the window yet. I told her if she kept it up there I was going to wind up back over there, she said, she figured I would anyway.

I notice the Village People's "In The Navy" is not among your songs...

7:57 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Gunner, as far as I know, Looking Glass never had another hit. So yeah, a one hit wonder. But still, what a great song!

Appalachian Man, The John Prine version is a lot better, but you can still tell that it is a poignant and bittersweet song. As for the Village People.... they will be on the list if I ever join the YMCA. Good catch, though, and nice barb.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home