Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Maybe I'm just sensitive, but....

I was reading the news this morning. I was catching up on the latest relief efforts for the tsunami victims. When I got to this statement I kinda got pissed off. Maybe I'm sensitive, but this quote kind of takes America's charitable largesse for granted, like us giving tens of millions of dollars and airlifting food and medical supplies we not noteworthy because we do it for everybody. I don't care how many times you respond to a catastrophic natural disaster, you should be apprieciated each and every time.

I don't think that as a country we need or expect parades and exaltations, but I do think we deserve better than this dismissive attitude. I don't think he really meant anything by his remark. That also troubles me some.

Sorry, I'm certianly not a right wing, might makes right, love it or leave it kind of guy, but it struck a nerve. Here is the paragraph that got me going (bolding, italics and font coloring mine):


"The French are starting to move food, of course the Americans....are moving food out, but this has to increase ten-fold, I would say," Augstburger told Reuters, adding that tsunami victims also needed items such as clothes and cooking utensils.

[Dismount soapbox] [Slow pan] [Fade out]


Speak, out.
Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home