Tuesday, March 01, 2005

You gotta deal. Stupid people.

Lord, have mercy. Everybody's freaked out that Americans are getting fatter. And they are. But what frightens me even more, besides the jingoistic patriotism and militarism we seem to have embraced, is that we're getting STUPIDER! Non-thinkers and sheep with a big army that sees frequent use. Kinda scary. But... since this is not a political blog, and never will be, we shall press on.

Case Study #1
I ordered my wife a hair dryer holder. Simple product, basically a clamp on a pole. But a handy thing that she wanted. So I went on line and ordered it. Put it on the Master Card, said a prayer for cyber-safety, and hit the send button.

A live chat popped up with some type of customer handler on the other end. She asked if my experience was good and I said it was fine, but if possible I'd like to provide my real phone number as the form's format did not allow for my international number. I got this back, and it's a quote, "We do not ship to overseas addresses. Goodbye." and click, I was disconnected.

A little concerned that they were going to charge my card and not send the product, I called them. And it was not toll free. I explained that my FPO address is indeed a US address and that the tecnological properties of a clamp on a length of pipe, while theoretically possible to be used as a weapon, probably were not sufficient to trigger any kind of state department technology transfer prohibitions.

I was abruptly told again that they would not ship it, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. When she came on I asked her why they would not ship a metal pole to a US Post Office. She stated that they needed a street address and not a PO Box. OK, I thought, I can see where this is going. "Oh. Do you ship via FedEx or UPS?", I asked her. "We use USPS", she replied, "and they won't ship to a PO Box."

I was incredulous. "USPS is the POST OFFICE, for crying out loud! Why the hell wouldn't they ship to a POST OFFICE box?", I demanded. "It's what they do...it's ALL they do." You'll love her response: "Oh. Well that makes sense. OK, it's on the way." Ay-yi-yi, I fear for our future.

Case Study #2
I went to the bank to get checks made up for use after I leave here. I gave the girl the name and address info I wanted on top. I even had her start the check numbers at 750 so it wouldn't look like a new account. You can do that, you know. Everything was smooth and uneventful, as it should be. The smooth uneventfulness was soon to be horribly shattered.

"OK, sir. They'll be mailed in about 3 business days." "OK, but I want them mailed to this address here, not that one." "Can't do it, sir." "Why not, ma'am?" "Because we can only mail to the address on the front of the check." "No, that's ridiculous. You can mail to whatever address I want you to." "Nope. I'm afraid I can't. Only to the address on the front." "No ma'am, that is just not correct. You can mail them wherever I want you to." "No, I can't." "OK, the, let me ask you this. Do I HAVE to get my name and address printed on the front of the check, or can I just leave it blank?" "Yes sir, you may leave it blank if you wish." "OK, so if I leave the front of the check blank...WHERE WOULD YOU MAIL IT TO THEN?" "Ummmm....oh, I don't know...." "Miss, please call your manager over." That's when it all finally got resolved.

These stories are true. The names have been changed to protect the idiots.

Manager calling and logic using, out.
Travelin' Ed


2 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

LMAO! You hit it right on the head!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

See...a lot of people can relate. Now, get back to work or whatever it is you do.
Ed

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home