Thursday, February 24, 2005

Joining the navy

Well, it wasn't the Village People song that inspired me, for sure. I was already in by then. 1979 and I was 19 years old, possessing great knowledge already....and broke! Let me 'splain.....

As I grew up Dad always told me that, "When you turn 18 I'm cutting your end of the table off and shipping you off to the navy." Buffett's songs like Son of a Son of a Sailor, He Went To Paris and A Pirate Looks at Forty mesmerized me. I was living in a trailer in Seffner, Florida, working in a liquor warehouse in Tampa for 15 cents over minimum wage, trading stolen booze for pot, cigarettes and the occasional frozen pizza. I routinely ate 1 meal a day during the week and on the weekends I had to steal lunch from the local supermarket. All of this is true. I was what they call working poor. I worked my butt off but couldn't make enough to live on.

I knew that I couldn't keep going like that, so I talked to the Navy and the Air Force recruiters. I could never shake the feeling that the Air Force recruiter wanted to see me naked so I went Navy. Actually, truth is I could have joined either but the AF had bases in West Texas, Cheyenne, and several other places that I already knew were remote and/or cold and/or sucked. The Navy had bases in San Diego, Key West, Honolulu, Phillippines and Italy. I went Navy.

I went to Boot Camp in San Diego. It was nice. Then up to the Chicago area for some schoolin' . I wasn't overly fond of the area, although I enjoyed going into Chicago itself quite a bit. I escaped just before winter hit and headed down to Virginia Beach for some more schooling. Then it was back to Dan Diego for my first ship. The Lynde McCormick. An Adams Class destroyer. Hot Damn!, I'm gonna be a tin can sailor.

Here's a poem to commemorate that decision. It's pretty true. I have a good life. I can tell true stories and they rhyme, too. Here goes:

By the way, sk are you still reading these things? Show me a sign.

Rebel Heart (No Regrets)

In North Carolina where I was born
the southeast swamps where I loved to stomp as a rebel child.
I carry the memories.

I learned about work when I learned to sweat
cropping tobacco in the sandy dirt of them long ass rows.
As far as the eye could see.

But I left all that behind me.
Took off down that lonely highway.
No regrets.

Well I guess I was born with a rambling bone
'cause I ain't never satisfied with where I am.
I just know that I've gotta go.

A smooth talking man in a crackerjack suit
said "it looks to me that the seven seas is your calling,son.
Have I got a deal for you."

And the pier was longer than the boat was large.
When the sea spray hit me it went right straight to this rebel heart.
And I knew I was home, y'all.

So if home is where the heart is
then God knows that my home ain't got no street address.
From midnight on the ocean
comes round daybreak in a cheap hotel.
And no regrets.

I have crossed the ocean on a typhoon's tail.
Spoke my mind. I've woke up in the province jail.
Don't need to try that twice.

Spent my life in Bangkok one fine night
Sweet thing whispered "I'll sure miss ya" and killed the lights.
Don't gotta tell me twice.

Son, if home is where the heart is
my home is somewhere on that old South China Sea.
Where the warm trade winds are blowing
on the good times this old boy's been knowing.
No regrets.

Where the warm trade winds are blowing
on the good times this old boy's been knowing.
No regrets.

Ed
Shoalwater Bay, Australia



2 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Ed. Been more than awhile since we swapped rhymes in our respective missile and gun plots. Hope you are well and a serendipitous moment found me here.

All Best,
Tim Smartt

3:34 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Nice to hear from you. Post some way to contact you here. I'll delete it afterward.
Ed

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home