Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hamdog cheeseburger w/ cayenne

OK dudes and dudettes. Appalachian kinfolk and Idahosers. Take note, all. I made a cool sandwich yesterday. I do not know that it has never been made before, as it was itself inspired by another sandwich I read about and also it seems to me SOMEBODY else would have tried this by now. But I had never heard of or seen it before so when I thought of it I went ahead and made it a reality. It goes like this here:

I took ground beef and made a round, very thin patty. I laid 3/4 of a hot dog on top of it. Alongside the hot dog I laid a goodly sized rectangular piece of swiss cheese. I sprinkled it liberally (I know, the L word, but in this case "conservatively" would not be the right way to go) with crushed cayenne peppers, although cursed cayenne peppers may work just as well. I covered it over with another very thin patty. [Ed. note - I almost called it a "meat hat", but that sounded kinda gross.] This made for a fairly good sized burger, oh I'd say about a 1/4 pounder size.

Then I struck that sucker on the ol' George Foreman for 12 minutes until it was good and cooked and the cheese was starting to ooze out. Mmmm-mmmmm...good eating.

You're welcome. You may all benefit from my selfless rersearch.

Mmmmmeat, out.
Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger RenaRF said...

I visited your blog because of your mention in Appalachian Intellectual's blog (should I be offended that I was billed BELOW you??).

I have to say - that hamdog cheeseburger sounds disgusting! In all of the boring lectures you have to sit through, don't they tell you about arteries and health and stuff??

Don't know how long you've been in Japan, but when you're back stateside, you'll have to find a Five Guys - if you don't know, it's (from what I'm told) a FABULOLUS burger joint now spreading like a virus through the Washington DC area and suburbs. Personally, I'm a fishitarian (no meat except occasional selected fish) so I can't personally testify. I will tell you that all of my Army friends and general meat-eating-guy-friends drool like a Pavlovian dog when I merely whisper "Five Guys"... Who said romance is a lost art?

;-)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, me and App been doing publicity for each other a few days now. Probably he knows the positive energy a squid can bring to things and put me in a prominent position. I wouldn't read too much into it.

The hamdog cheeseburger is good. The cheese makes it all worthwhile. What is disgusting is fish tacos. Bleeecchh! We know all about our arteries, we're just not slaves to them. Remember most of us will never have to run farther than about 282 feet unless on a carrier, and them poor dudes could have as far as 300 yards. And by definition, ALL lectures are boring.

Been in Japan 11 of 13 years. Went back to Mississippi for 2 years there in the middle because I can't get mufalettas or crawfish here.

Never heard of 5 guys but can't imagine telling my father I was going to go out to eat 5 guys. Think he might consider me " a son what done gone wrong".

Now, if I am reading your comment correctly, whispering to army men and making them drool is your idea of romance? Ummm, OK. Although on second thought.....

Welcome aboard, RenaRF. Hope you visit often.

Travelin' Ed

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home