Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Scots-Irish

I am Scots-Irish. My family as far back as I know, which is Great-grandma Abernathy and Great-grandma Dillard, and a way lot of distant uncles, aunts and cousins, all came from mountianous Virginia and rural North Carolina.

This article, excerpted from the book Born Fighting, How the Scots-Irish shaped America, was enough to really whet my appetite. I have ordered the book. Hardcover, for I intend to keep it and re-read it often.

Enjoy the article above. Pay special attention to the sections A CULTURE OF CONTRASTS and REDNECKS. Neither is cliched or derogatory, and both made me start to understand more about myself, my family and our upbringings. Like I said, for me this was strong stuff and made me want the book to get the full story, unabridged.

Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lot's of Dillards around Cashiers NC.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well....we're them and they're us. Dillard's and Abernathy's are NOT in short supply in the parts of NC that I'm from. Charlotte, Belmont, Gastonia, Pineville. (Now for all intents and purposes it's just one big place, I'm afraid.)

I am, however starting to zone in on your whereabouts, cuz.

Did the link info help?

T' E

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home