Thursday, February 17, 2005

Southern Culture on the Skids

Sounding like a cross between Jethro Bodine and the B-52's ...with numerous sidetrips into the surf music of the '60's, S.C.O.T.S. (Southern Culture on the Skids) is a fun listen. Out of NC, the Raleigh area, I do believe, these 2 guys and a big haired girl are wa-a-ay over the top with albums like "DIRT TRACK DATE" and "LIQUORED UP AND LAQUERED DOWN". I really got into them in Hong Kong and Australia, but they're home grown musicians fer sure.

They're not for everybody, and like the B-52's, they are certianly not for everyday use. I mean, Love Shack is an awesome song, but everyday?? I think not. Same with SCOTS. But if you're curious...buy curious....then give 'em a shot. Go to their home page from the link above and under the "THE BAND" tab open the "DISCOGRAPHY" page. There you will find 8 or 10 sample mp3's, including "SHOTGUN", "BANANA PUDDING", "SWAMP FOX" and one that I am particularly fond of (since I went to Soul City, NC when they opened it up as a social experiment and also because it's a funky, sleazy song) "SOUL CITY".

Give them a listen. I've done the legwork for you. So c'mon. You've got broadband. So, you know, use it.

Skidding, out.
Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Man, I love SCOTS! Gotta go.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well good on ya. It is my mission to enrich the lives of others.
Travelin' Ed

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home