Monday, April 04, 2005

More pictures from Japan

OK, I'll pick up where I left off yesterday.

I like this style of fishing boat. They are very common here. And really, no matter where you go, there's always an old guy fishing...which will be me real soon.

OK, back to the JMSDF for a little. Remember the post where I was describing a small boat ride. Well, this is a small boat ride, commencing at the traditional time of "Oh dark thirty". They are sometimes referred to as "liberty boats", but not usually when they are headed towards the ship. More folks waiting on their turn to ride out.

I really like this photo. I'm sorry, but I think warships have the sleekest lines. Especially small boys, like the one in the background. (Notice how, even though a correct usage of navy-speak, I avoided saying "I really like small boys".)

Here you go, Travelin' Ed, International Squid of Mystery. The mountians, and the mountians in the fog just looked so beautiful to me. I brought back a memory card FULL of basically the same picture over and over. Anyway, more mountians, more fog, and a nautical theme. "This is "Oscar". He gets thrown over the side so the ship can practice SAR (Search & Rescue). Oscar, the navy-speak for the letter O, is a flag we raise during the process so other ships would know that our erratic manuvering has nothing to do with illicit rum rations. I just liked this picture. It's purty. The bridge again, only closer. An Italian gun, but manufactured in Japan (I think). Another one that's here just 'cause it's purty. two.

Lastly, our FMS support folks. The guy in the middle is Chief Goto-san. He has a standing invite to visit me in FL. The guy on the left is the ex-naval officer who I think is in charge and the guy on the right is Nishida-san. Nishida is the only one that translates, although Goto did it before we contracted the civilian company.

A fishing village. They aren't exactly bustling metropolises. Or would that be metropoli?. A free beer from the front desk. I put a matchbook and key card in the frame to give it scale. 2 cans would only fill a highball glass.

The Hotel Mare inside looking from the lobby towards the bathrooms. Looking from the resturant towards the lobby. Another view from the resturant towards the lobby. The company philosophy. They write this kind of stuff on everything, including cars and SUVs. The elevator foyer.

Now it is time to leave Maizuru. First, get a train. Interior view of the train. This is a regular commuter train car. It looks well kept up because JR Train company believes in upkeep and it is a society that eschews vandalism as sport. Scenic view #1 Scenic view #2 Scenic view #3 Scenic view #4 And finally, here is the conductor checking tickets.

Hope you enjoyed the little 2 day mini-tour. I do this crap every day and am just now realizing that I'd better commit some to photos because I probably won't be back this way again. To coin a phrase, "I'm outta here".

Yegg, out
Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home