Saturday, August 06, 2005

OK, but...


Sorry 'bout yesterday. As some of you probably surmised I was heading home. We went up to Jax I-75 --> I-4 --> I-95. That took about 5 hours. We came home using a bunch of county roads and US 301 to get to Ocala (beautiful horse country) and then jumped on I-75 there for the last 30 minutes. Nong drove from Jax to Ocala, but when she saw the interstate decided she was not quite ready for that.

I finally got the grass mowed. After my tire fiasco, which took a couple of weeks and the services of a professional, I finally got the thing together and cranked up,. I mowed a good 20-25 square feet and the steering broke. I wailed in anguish. I went to get a hammer from dad and I was fuming. He was afraid I'd bash the mower's head in, and I was seriously contemplating it, so he came along to help out. We got it working, but not fixed. I have what i think is a good idea, so it probably ain't, and will execute that today.

We took exactly two pictures on our trip and as soon as I remember where the camera is I'll post them. Yeah, yeah. They're not exactly the "hold your breath" kind.

Got a poem for you. I experimented with doing these with photo illustrations attached. It worked OK, but the files were big, so I stopped. Here's one I did do that way.


Restlessness Pulling



I thought about you once again this morning
You still are never far away from me
Though there's really not a reason for believing
Like you never had a reason, girl, to stay


I always saw exactly what I wanted
Which I was more than glad to share with you
Since I never saw a single thing you needed
I thought that you could help to keep me happy, too


Chorus I:
You had lonely eyes, but you were trying
Though restlessness was pulling on your dreams
And I'm not sure just when you started crying
But I suppose that's when they found their wings


I guess you've got to do what makes you happy
Even if it's going to make you cry
I guess you've got to give yourself the things you really need
When you realize your man ain’t even trying

I'm not going to say I gave you nothing
I was ignorant, but not the faithless kind
If I could take things back and do them over
I’d put the us before the me and mine


Chorus II:
You had lonely eyes, but you were trying
Though restlessness was pulling on your dreams
And I'm not sure just when you started crying
I suppose that's when they finally found their wings


Seems I always think about you in the mornings
Right before the sun comes up to light
The shadows working edges off of something
It's so quiet baby, that's the part I like


It's so quiet like the corners of my life


Ed
Kamakura

2 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

Good Morning Ramblin Boy, aint it great to have grass to keep one rooted -ha, I have grass growing green in 4 different locations and can only mow one yard at a time and the distance is just to far to cover each week so I have angst filled neighbors and probably lots of snakes. I am not at all convinced that God expect us to mow grass for a livelyhood.

I like the poem. Fav. lines:
If I could take things back and do them over
I’d put the us before the me and mine

also the first stanza of the chorus and the last stanza and tag line. Excellent close for sure.

I am wondering if you would like it better with using the word fly instead of cry in the second stanza of the chorus?? I guess you've got to do what makes you happy
Even if it's going to make you cry(fly)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Cry, fly...works either way. As you know, I'm not much for research or revision. What spills out gets published. That's why I don't care when TAD, DRE or Jn move 'em around, change 'em or mix and match 'em. I got mine by writing it in the first place, so I'm stoked.

As you can tell I drew on a few life lessons writing this one. You know, that ol' 20/20 hindsight thing.

Ramblin' Ed

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home