Sunday, September 11, 2005

DadeCity


OK, raise your hand if you, like me, bought the Erika Jo CD. You remember her. The short little 18 yr old, who was short, had a big smile and a mighty voice and was short. You remember her, I'm sure. The winner of Nashville Star this season.

No? Well no matter. I was at a place yesterday, they called it a yard sale but it was a roadside cottage filled with whatever you call something half a notch above garbage. It was middle of nowhere, roadside US 301 just inside Pasco County as I recall. And Erika Jo's CD was only a buck. I bought it, but likely wouldn't have paid more.

iT WAS A PRETTY RIDE THROUGH MOSTLY STILL UNDEVELOPED COUNTRY GETTING UP TO dADE cITY. (Sorry for the bold...cat help) One disconcerting thing was the signs. I went for miles seeing for sale sign after for sale sign on the woods. There were hundreds of them. Judging from the lack of any development action at the moment, I can only guess it's speculators, betting that it won't be too long before the area becomes more "wooded lots from the 300's." Still, all in all me and the wife enjoyed the ride.

We stopped right inside Dade City limits at John Henry's BBQ, sat down, and when the waitress came up I politely inquired if she might be Mrs. Henry. She was not.

It was a black owned joint, which in my experience is the way to go if you're gonna eat BBQ but aren't familiar with the area. Nong had a rib dinner and I the rib/pork combo. It was right fair food and the place smelled real good inside.

Somehow I got to talking to one of the old fellas working in the back and allowed as how we were there for the outdoor antiques fair and how we had meandered up from Brandon. He jumped right on the fastest way to get back south when he saw that I had a road map out.

Educational corner (Geography):


As of the 2000 census, there are 6,188 people, 2,399 households, and 1,460 families residing in the city.

But, I told him, I am not looking for the fastest way home. Thou dost mistake me for one of those young suburbanites (musta been my sunglasses) in their go fast cars and SUVs. In fact, I aim to drive up north a ways, perhaps as far as (OK, I can't remember the name of the town, but the last three syllables were "ahoochee"), head east a mite and then head back to Brandon on 471 to 54 to 39. He smiled, scratched his head and stated that that was indeed just a mighty fine ride for a Saturday afternoon. He was sweating profusely. It is summer in Florida and his job involves a wood fire indoors.

After we finished eating and were headed out the door, another, younger black man came out of the back walking quickly towards me with a purpose and determination. Judging from the look on his face I thought, Oh no, he's coming my way and it looks like he's in the mood for some Ramblin' Ed style tale telling. This may well take a while.

Instead he hands me a white bag with a to go box inside. He says to me, "Here. We wanted y'all to have this. It's some wings and some of our special sauce." He handed over to me with a smile. Gotta love that southern hospitality, and it comes in heaping helpings at barbecue joints.

We enjoyed walking around the town square, looking at antiques and crafts and just talking wth people. I've alwas loved small towns. Like me, they move at a relatively unhurried pace. No, I'm kidding. There's nothing relative about it. It is a much slower, friendlier and chattier pace. My style fer sure.

I suppose I could ramble a while. About the crafts we bought. The candles we bought. The $900 worth of furniture I bought from the lady who ran the Kafe Kokopelli (sk, I most assuredly thought of you when I saw that). But actually, while I find the Tribune to be a bit half-assed, it is still a huge undertaking to read the Sunday edition. I had best get started on it.

Bought Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury yesterday, too. Kinda felt bad that I only paid a quarter for it. But not bad enough to offer more.



Keep refrigerated after opening, out
Ramblin' Ed

4 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

Man you had just about the most perfect day.... coulda only been made more perfect if I had been there. BBQ, long rides, antiques, yard sales and slow people wow, you are living good buy! PS. Kokopeli is one of my heros!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yah know what the RQ just said. That is pretty much exactly what I intended to say, which is pretty damn scary. At least you know how to keep us entertained if we happen down your way. -Jn

8:00 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

I really like this picture. Maybe one of my favs that you have posted- excluding those of you of course.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Dittoes on those comments, also.

That brought back fond Air Force mems: I always looked forward to TDYs to Alabama cause I knew me and ol' Terry from Asheville, NC would find time at least once, sometimes twice, to head out north of Montgomery towards Prattville to this run down looking place that served some of the finest pork BBQ I ever ate.

And some more of the fine sweet tea, if you don't mind, miss. And more napkins, please!

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home