Monday, January 02, 2006

Quite the mental bohemian


I have many opinions, although I don't figure anybody wants to hear them, since hardly anybody shares them. But they keep me centered and grounded and nearly, but not quite, ecstatic all the time. From time to time one will slip out, especially the ones that tie in to my belief that all politicians have no redeeming qualities. Or that the vast majority of other people suck, the things they do suck, the way they drive sucks, and, well, AND THEY JUST SUCK. Yep, now I feel better. And, of course, present company is always excepted. Usually.

By the way, those are my more mainstream opinions. I can be quite the bohemian in my attitude. But not, exactly, a beatnik. A point we should keep clear if we can.

For this anecdote, I present no details. They just drag the story down to a very pedestrian level. In fact, they slink right on up to the shared border with boring, then cross over. So, no details. Just this: ... and I reached down for it with my free hand. Brushing against something unexpected I reflexively recoiled in horror. Looking down, I breathed a sigh of relief. It was just the cat's head.

I start work today at my new little job. Right after I took it, and I mean the very next day, of course, the state of Florida called with an offer of a better job in Tampa. Feast or famine, that's me. I'll work at this one right up through the interviews and whatnot for the state job. I will be working the 4 PM to 1 Am shift, so interviews and civil service exams during the day should be OK. And if, for some reason, the better job falls through, I'm not back out on the bricks looking.

I think I tried to OD on football yesterday. I watched 4 straight games. The West Virginia-Georgia game was quite entertaining, but ran til the wee hours. I'm glad this does not happen but once a year.

I think I saw me in a commercial during the Nokia Sugar Bowl. It was about Ed and his Nokia, where I, and I must say it looks like the camera adds 20 or 30 pounds, download the Good Ol' Boys song (The Dukes of Hazzard theme) and then sing it for you. Yes, yes... sadly, that really could be me.

Feeling a bit narcissistic today, which is why all of the accompanying pictures are of me.

Another offering from the past. I know this gets a bit sappy, but it's really the way you feel after a long, long time at sea:

Sitting Here Thinking

I was just sitting here thinking
I can't imagine you not being there
When I glanced at your name on a poem I wrote long ago
And I was just sitting here thinking
There's some long miles between us again
Don't it seem like sometimes that somewhere it's written
That we can't be together no more

But I chose the life of a sailor
And a sailor is one with the sea
And I'm writing you now with the waves toss and turning beneath me
They tell me the sea is my woman
Yeah, the only love I'll ever find
You know it ain't true, coming straight back to you
If you'll only keep our dream alive

You know the tunes that I've written
You know they came from my heart
You can see if you try, there between every line,
hides the love of a crazy young sailor

Baby, I'm missing you so much
Though the tears never fall to the page
Nevermind storms and squalls, or the climbs and the falls
Because your love eclipses hem all

I was just sitting here thinking
I can't imagine you not being there
With the ship pulling in and you're not at the end
Of the pier, don't know what I would do
Say a prayer for the crazy young sailor
Who sits quietly counting off time
While the sea casts its spells, and seemingly swells
up with pride how it's kept us apart
Keep the dream well alive in your heart

Ed
South China Sea

Recyclables in a seperate bin, out
Ramblin' Ed

4 comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

And jewelry and a Hawaiian shirt.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the poem alot..My Sailors...(and if you knew me - you would know what that really means) have written to me of such... and it was hard to smooth their longings.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, Kinda look like Walking Tall with that Boat Paddle in your hand. Now is that a W or tow V's?

9:53 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

AI, Maybe it's late but I don't understand the V or W question.

Janie, there's only two things I write about. Firstly, I write about stuff I Know. Secondly, well, that's stuff I just make up. I think you already know which category this comes from.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home