Saturday, January 28, 2006

Time keeps on slipping (slipping, slipping) into the future

How do so many days slide past between blogs? I'm gonna post, then I don't have time, so I'm gonna during lunch at work, then gonna when I get home, then gonna tomorrow. Ben Gonna never actually meets his alter ego, Dunn Didd. So today is shaping up a lot to be like that again.

Not that there's nothing going on. Family can demand a lot of your time, and I don't mean that in a bad way. You always want to help your brother or your wife, up to and including dropping what you are currently doing. My brother had car trouble and my wife had a fender bender, neither of which should take a back seat to a blog. Nor did they. Then at work they are having the second pot luck dinner in two weeks. Today we prepared, cooked, and boxed up my contribution. No problem at all. But it was still three of my available five hours free time. It's just weird. I always used to be so relaxed and had time to do everything. Guess I still haven't fully adjusted.

My wife's fender bender is a classic example of them that just don't get it. I was at work. Bro called and asked if I could pick him up when he dropped his car off at the shop about 3 miles away. Nong told him I was working but that she would do it, then called me to ask where it was. And she was fine, knew just where I was talking about, etc. So off she goes.

At the intersection of a severely over congested highway where she was to be turning left, there was a little utility construction and a sherriff to keep an eye on (note: he was not directing, per se, just keeping an eye on it) traffic. Nong waited for her green arrow and proceded to turn left when an older lady and her son crunched into the side of our car. It was not major damage, but is definately noticable.

The kid, although I gather he was about a 35 year old kid, started jawing at Nong, possibly even mentioning that maybe she should not be on the road in his country, etc. I don't worry too much there, as the girl gives back more than she takes and can more than hold her own on something like that. They also both kept talking down to Nong, trying to point out that she obviously didn't understand that in FL you can turn right on a red light.

The cop had been watching and went over and told the old lady that she had been in the wrong. That's when she and her son took the opportunity to point out the whole right on red idea to him. Y'all already know what he told them, right?

Same as any one of us would have told them. Right on red is not the same as a green light. You don't just barrel into an intersection without yeilding because you are turning right. You are supposed to stop, ensure that it is safe, and then proceed. After having right on red explained to him once, then twice, the cop kinda got tired of explaining that she never looked, never slowed down, and never gave a moment's thought to yielding, and that yes, he knew the law and that no, he was not going to have it quoted again. Shut up and drive off or get a citation and a fine. She and that fine, bigoted boy of hers took the hint and hightailed it.

Today I did have a little time for the herb garden. So far I have sweet basil, Siam Queen basil, cillantro, and chili pepper. I also have some Thai herb that I don't know the name of. I have leeks, chives and a few others to get to, but a lot of that is seed and will have to be potted and sprouted, hardened off and transplanted. I'll just keep that in the garage for a while. See, this is why I couldn't wait to get my yard. An apartment balcony just is not the same.

Out,
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

RTOR, that's a dangerous one and you're correct in observing that some retards don't understand that they are supposed to stop FIRST before executing a RTOR.

For some reason I've suddenly got Steve Miller on the brain... or is it Molly Hatchet?

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think if you had a bunch of babies (human variety) to care for too!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home