Saturday, February 11, 2006

Working through the pane

Like Murf, who, by the way, is posting so much now that I can hardly keep up reading it, much less try to match it (and she wasn't sure she had anything to say if she started a blog, as I remember it), I have been dabbling in windows. Unlike Murf, my story is not peppered with morons and shysters. At least not yet. That I know of.

My windows here suck. They are thin and leaky and forty something years old. And I can't lock half of them because the locks are broke. Broke off, that is. I shut the garage, lock the doors and count on the neighborhood's old bats, I mean the neighborhood watch to keep my windows safe.

Not no more. I got me some brand, spanking new, double pane, double hung, hurricane proof (well, up to 140 mph anyway) windows. You can smack the glass with a crowbar. You'll piss it off. You'll spiderweb it. You'll cost me some serious money to replace it. But you won't break it or get in through it. So let the boy cat get a running start on it like he did the old ones. Now it's his head that'll flex, not the window.

So, after I decided to get nice windows, called the man over and we spent nearly 5 hours talking/pondering/'splaining, and made the decision to do the whole house at once, we got to talking price. I will say this: I thought he was joking. It was the price of the Pontiac Solstice that I want.
I looked him in the eye and told him, "I believe in the quality, I believe in the strong guarantee, and I believe all of the assets to "investing" in these windows. But you gotta make this number (pointing to price) smaller. I simply cannot pay that, whether I want to or not." Fast forward through haggling and more 'splaining, and we got to a (more) fair and (slightly more) reasonable price and payment plan. The original asking price was in excess of $14,000 for 10 windows, by the way.

In another note, I overheard a young lady where I work explaining to a customer something about their software was bleeding. Surely I must have missed something important in the conversation.

Taxes done. Homework assignments done. (Note to self: Apparently in college, waiting until the night before assignment is due is not going to work long term.) Cat washed. Chicken marinated, grilled and passed throughout the neighborhood to deserving neighbors. They know who they are. They're the ones who remember to return the plate. Rule #1: Keep our plate and get yourself removed from the food distribution list. Some of your blogs read. My blog, such as it is, written. Time to dress for work.

And we laughed to ourselves at the men and the ladies
who never concieved us as billion dollar babies, out
Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

I know you're busier than a blind dog in meathouse, busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, but bear with me just a bit R' Ed as I hate to see you spend all that money on labor. To wit:

I worked with a feller that replaced his own windows in his single level, late 60s ranch. Every payday he went to Lowes and bought a new window and then would spend the weekend removing old/installing new. I helped on the first few as he was a bit of a rooky. It's a little more involved than building a couple bookends, but it is doable with patience and the right tools.

Single windows are doable.
But if you're also doing a big bay window, then you might seek pro help.

Here's a good overview.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Here's some more. Here's a window replacement video. Here's Lowes how-to; the Natural Handyman has lots of info.

Just google "how do it yourself replacement windows" and you'll have all kinds of info on it. Like I said I hate to see you spend $$$$ on labor when you really can do it yourself.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Believe it or not, these windows are special, Gunner. Double pane with laminate, one pane much thicker than the other. (Just noticed your avatar...um, colorful)The space tetween is filled with gas. Lifetime, transferrable warranty on parts, labor and wear and tear.

I am studying now for home repair rookie. I can identify a screwdriver 8 of 10 times. But I thank you for having my back. I know you do your best to give me good advice.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home