Wednesday, March 02, 2005

A belly good morning

The title means nothing. Maybe if I had said "base-eh ball been belly, belly good to me.", but I didn't. I'm like that...kinda flighty.

Oh man. sk you done made my day today. If chocolate made you write all that stuff...nice stuff...REALLY nice stuff... I'll sign you up for M&M's home delivery program, my treat. (The M's are my favorite, but alas, they aren't sold seperately.) And as long as it's just for home mix tapes, I really see no reason to not P2P some music. Especially the old stuff. I use the LimeWire program. And, newsflash!, Ryan Adams has inspired quite a lot of my stuff. Almost as much as Billy Joe Shaver. I am sure that comes as no surprise, though. The guy can flat WRITE A SONG.

The dudes on American Idol are pretty darn good this season. There were only about 2 slackers and they got the boot pretty early. I'm really liking them, especially the 2 long haired rockers, Constantine and Bo Bice, although Constantine often seems like he's pondering on which of the girlie singers he might score with. He's got beady eyes that way.

Speaking of the girlie singers, not real impressed. Mikaleh, 17 going on 40, is intriguing. She reminds me of Fran Drescher, The Nanny. On whole, They don't seem to be a real talented bunch. Cute, but not real exciting. Not that I wouldn't gladly bear any one of their babies, I just wouldn't have them sing the little drool monkey to sleep.

OK, how to approach this? I'm going someplace good with this, so see it through. I found a Japanese website that pertained to handicapped wrestling. These were very handicapped people, wrestling for the amusement of others. Like dwarf bowling...somewhat, except without the dwarves and pins and beer frames.

Well of course, my first reaction was to kinda avert my eyes and go, "Oh no they did-nt." But, looking at the pictures, which were very good quality by the way, I realized that they were in an arena. A sold out arena from the looks of it. That got me thinking, and since I have lived here inJapan 11 years I know a little about how they function as a society, that maybe this was a good thing. With the vacant eyes and nonfunctioning limbs there is not a lot of employment to be had for them. Like it or not, that's a fact.

Now I do not know, or pretend to know the answer to the next question. But I did wonder about it. Are they perhaps grateful or even proud of their wrestling even though it seems kind of demeaning to us? I mean, if the arena is sold out then it must be making money and they must be getting some of it. Wouldn't it always be better, from a self worth standpoint, to be earning a wage and supporting yourself than to be in a home being cared for? And if that job is available to you, shouldn't you take it? I would think so, but I'm a Libetarian and a Populist. I don't know for sure.

I do know this, and I know it's true. A girl in one of the Third World countries, you could get me to lie as exactly which country it was, said this in an interview. She wanted actors, actresses and crusaders to stay the hell away from her village. They were mostly farmers, but a large clothing company also had a shop there that sewed shirts or pants or something.

So some Do-Good-Betty-Doo-Wop come on down to the village, camera crews in tow, and complained mightily about the horrid conditions (you know...not like a factory in say, California...and by the way, there's a REASON the factory is not in California anymore) of the "sweat shop". She cried and wailed and urged boycotts, plagues of locusts on the company and all manner of bad publicity. Eventually she got the company to change and she smiled in satisfaction, patted a village boy on the head, got back into her plane and flew home.Now, when I say got the company to change, I of course mean that they closed the shop down.

The girl stated simply that the village does not have jobs and that they were all very poor. Those working at the shirt sewing shop felt lucky to get the jobs. Sure it was hard, but so is the alternative, farming in rocks. And the shop paid more than farming did.

In a simple, agricultural village, the shop was a good deal. Now, thanks to the helping hand they got from Betty Doo Wop and her travelling indignation show, it's closed down. Gone. And took it's payroll with it. But at least it was for their own good. And, of course, their dignity. Better to live a dignified life in abject poverty, I suppose. I'm guessing Betty Doo Wop gets an extra half mil everytime she shows her tits in a film. You know, dignified employment. (Ok, the story is true, but I paraphrased it because I was doing it from memory.)

For my own good, out.
Travelin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Right on Brother! What the people say!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home