Sunday, December 18, 2005

I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV

My blog buddies all got style. Or at least a style. Red Queen has the pretty poems and travel stories. Gun Trash has the odd and strange sites and quirky games. Jn has the frenetic pace of a college student. And AI has bears. And great photographs. And groupies. Me? Well, what I lack in substance (and what I lack in substance is substantial) I make up for in volume. Volume, as in quantity. As they say, we all have our niche.

How do I feel about this? Heck, I don't care. It's a lot easier to talk a lot than to have something to say. Use enough grown up words and string them together with a lot of commas and it kinda looks like you've got something to say anyway. I'm easy as they come.

Well, that is not what I started out to say, although truth be told, I didn't start out with anything to say. I kinda sat around all day and night watching football and basketball.

Funny, but moving back to the states caused me to get Christas cards this year. A lot of them. A lot more than I sent out, because I usually only get two, maybe three cards per year. I was caught off guard. Boy, do I have egg(nog) on my face.

I think I'll rent the Dukes of Hazzard. Daisy Duke's cutoff shorts looked interesting and... well, actually there ain't no and to it. I wanna see Jessica in them shorts even though I know I'm going to walk away from it having had my intelligence insulted. Ha! Hollywood knows just what I like. I am just so easy.

It's Sunday, I'm sleepy and this must be exceedingly boring. To the majority of you, good bye, so long, it's been a trip. Stop in again tomorrow for some new twisty tales.

For the two of you that actually read the poems, there's another one below. I wrote it for my first wife when I got sent overseas for two years and left her back in the states. In retrospect, it was not a brilliant move, leaving her behind for so long. But hey, if it wasn't for non-brilliance, we might never have regrets.


Denim Girl

I fall asleep without your touch
I might have never said as much
But what we are is what we are together
I let so much go slipping by
Like what we had was endless time
Now we're apart. I understand forever

Did you awaken from your sleep
Late last night from quiet dreams
I spoke your name aloud and did you hear it?
A whisper carries in the night
I closed my eyes with all my might
And there you were, my denim girl, appearing

Hey denim girl, with eyes so bright
I'll see you in my dreams tonight
To see you smile just sets my world a'spinning
The miles between your hand and mine
Are just a bridge we'll cross in time
And on the other side is our beginning

My heart beats like a restless drum
In rythm with the one I love
Each morning dawns with lonliness to greet her
The ocean sets its own sweet pace
Just like a woman. I can say
Sometimes I curse the day went down to meet her

I fall asleep without your voice
To say how much I love you
So I toss and turn and dream myself back home
The Louisiana breeze is blowing
Outside on the front porch, you say,
"Come here boy, you've been away too long"

Hey denim girl, with eyes so bright
I'll see you in my dreams tonight
To see you smile just sets my world a'spinning
The miles between your hand and mine
Are just a bridge we'll cross in time
And on the other side is our beginning


I fall asleep alone again
A trace of whiskey on my breath
A night like this goes better with a chaser
The Nippon moon is hard and cold
Without my little denim girl
I miss her. Now I understand forever

Ed
Yoko

T-t-that's fall, oaks
Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, you got the groupies, but I'd already used that.

No slight intended.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Well, Ramblin' Ed, I enjoy your rambling style or I wouldn't stop by.

How else would one blog if their name is Ramblin' Ed... you ramble. It's an eclectic, entertaining and enjoyable ramble with an occasional seafaring tale and rest room adventure thrown in. What more could a blog reader ask for?

8:41 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, Gunner. When you put it that way. I do tell a right fair rest room story.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home