Monday, February 13, 2006

You're a mo-ron for $500, please Alex


I probably shouldn't work at a help desk. I mean, I can handle the little old ladies or the youngin's that don't quite understand computers. But when I spend 15 minutes trying to get a dude to recognize, then click on, the doggone start menu, what I really want to do is ask if I can work instead with whoever helped him dial the phone. or this scenario:

Go to ALL PROGRAMS
I don't have that
Yes, you do. It's as soon as you open START
I don't have it
Yeah, you do, just read from the top
It's not there.
Sure it is. Just read me the commands
Nope. I'm looking and it's not there.
Did you open START
Yes
And do you see commands
Ummm ...I'm not good with computers
I understand. But you see words, right
Yes, I can read
How 'bout you read me what you see
Look, I understand that you want.... Oh, there it is. What now?

OK, 8 hours of that. Some of it makes me laugh and some of it makes me do the thumb and forefinger as a semi-automatic pistol that I'm using to bust a cap in my skull motion.. repeatedly.

Yesterday, I had a guy get pissed off and hang up on me. And I was thinking, that was probably all for the best. He was mad because I kept interrupting his rambling to say things like, "OK, I understand. You want me to help you fix (insert latest computer malady he has been rambling on about)." He accused me of just wanting to paraphrase him. Finally, when I said that sir, I can't help you fix anything if you will not tell me what you want fixed, he cursed me and hung up. I'm filing the paperwork with the company to get that 15 minutes of my life back.

I know, my life is weird. This job, while amusing at times, bites, and just so you know, I could go on ad finitum like this. I merely choose to spare you.

Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee, out
Ramblin' Ed

(I've never really been to Oklahoma, by the way)

4 comments:

Blogger Ed said...

It's been about ten years ago now that I bought my parents their first computer outside of the Apple IIe they have had for a decade. To this day I am still their computer support person a phone call away and I have heard most everything. I never take the use of computers for granted anymore.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ramblin', sounds like you could be trying to help your sister! And....where in the world do you find your pictures?!?!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Anon... I would get frustrated-er with family doing that to me.

I see the pics in my head and then find them on google. Today I typed "Moron" into google images and hit search

10:50 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I've worked for that feller bending over there in the 2nd picture.

Several times, in fact.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home