Monday, March 06, 2006

Fish and whistle, whistle and fish

This is a shot looking up through my grapefruit tree. I do not eat grapefruit, obviously.

We were in the Big C, right off the BTS elevated train station in Saphan Kwai. Big C is like a British (although not Great British as the president sometimes refers to them) version of Kmart. There are also Carrefour stores but they are French and, well, you know.

So we had checked all of the regular stuff, and even some irregular stuff. I do like to buy medicine there because there are a lot more things considered over the counter, you can buy as many or as few of what you want instead of having to buy what is prepackaged, and it's cheaper, with 1% hydrocortisone cream going for about 45 cents a tube, for example.

Now when it comes to toothpaste I figure I'm going to mash it all up against my teeth and then spit it out in uncerimonious fashion. Therefore, may as well buy whats cheap. So we were checking out the stuff and I found a tube of Herb-Bric herbal toothpaste for teeth and gums. That is written in English on one side and is, and I gave this a good examination, the only English on the packaging. It has a very unique flavor, is way cheap, and takes the honors as my favorite toothpaste. Knowing I was coming back stateside, we shipped a lot home so it would last a while.

In San Diego, when I was younger, we would find ourselves out at night, very late at night, and getting ready to take a shuttle back to the ship. In those years, after 5 PM you couldn't get anything to eat on the boat and the little mini-store on base was closed at 10 PM. So if it was after 10, and you wanted to eat, you had to bring it in from town.

We would stop at Carl's, Jr for a bite. When we'd get to the counter we would realize that we were powerful hungry and buy several burgers and fries to take home. Upon arriving home we'd eat one and some fries and realize we'd bought way too much stuff. That made for quite a few mornings after with cold burgers for breakfast.

I am sure there has beeen an occasion here and there where I have had another burger for breakfast, probably while traveling, but I can't recall one specifically. But in San Dog is where I remember it as a routine occurance.

As a side note, we used to gorge ourselves on burgers before going to bed and then still wake up famished. After a while of this I made the financial decision that if I was going to wake up starving regardless, I was going to save myself all of that burger money and started buying just a small fries at night.

Okie dokie, some pictures and out.
The first wisteria flower of the year. Coupled with the orange blossoms, I got one sweet smelling back yard and it will only get better smelling. Wild and crazy view of lone wisteria sprig or flower or whatever. Also serves to show my body's continued flexability that I got that shot.
Orange blossoms on the tree. This is one of my favorite smells. Too bad all the groves that used to dot this town have all sprouted apartments and condos. They do not smell near as sweet.

It looked like a rout, out
Ramblin' Ed

5 comments:

Blogger Ed said...

By the title of your blog post, I'm guessing you are either a John Prine fan or at least have heard of the song and liked it. Me, I'm a huge fan but feel way young everytime I go to one of his concerts.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

John Prine and Jimmy Buffett were the two biggest influences in my life. Now that you know that you'll be able to see it.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

OK, by the comment above, I didn't mean in the same way as parents or teachers. I meant in my writing and story telling.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Wow, that Orange Blossom is Special.

You've given up red meat, right?

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for my wisteria to bloom here. We have a few citrus that we baby in the yard(during a cold spell).... but we don't have them blooming at the same time. Yummy!

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home