Thursday, February 23, 2006

Urbs


SubURBS. Blog blURBS. And herb gardens. Yep, that's one of the things I've been busy with. 2 days after the only freeze temperature of the year, which I'm pretty sure killed the two new fruit trees and a pepper plant, but seemed to tell the bulbs it was time to move into high growth gear, the temps went into the mid-seventies. Three days of that and it's in the eighties. I had been growing seedlings in the garage, and yesterday went and got some big planters and bags of potting soil.

It is my firm belief that herbs are just weeds that you eat, so I don't want them to get too much of a foothold in my yard. In Florida it would be a full time job keeping them under control. Rain and steamy temperatures ensure that things grow 6 inches while you turn your back long enough to get a drink from the hose. I figure by getting big planters and filling them half full I can control the herb spread, as it were. Plus I can put them into the garage next year during the winter. Both weeks of it.

And I bought a new mower with some of my income tax money. You can't not test drive a new mower if you buy one. You just can't. So the grass got mowed yesterday, along with a sprinkler that had somehow burrowed under some leaves. It is now yellow, plastic mulch and serves as a warning to other garden tools that the consequences of disobedience is a good mulching.

I have been knocking out a group project for class which has took quite a bit out of me, but still I expect we will be the standard by which the others are judged. I put quite a LOT of personal effort into it and it was good. I went ahead and let the others polish it up and turn it in, but I did most of the work. Hey, my average is more than twice the class average and I want it to stay that way.

Pepe chased a bicyclist around the perimeter of our yard and then sat there and stared at the direction he had gone, apparently making sure he did not try to come back. He is mostly dog, I am now without a doubt on that point, and was pretty sure that as he ran I could hear him going, "mee-ark, mee-ark, mee-ark*". He's a real piece of work. Yuki just skulked about, capturing and torturing lizards for the sport of it. She is a regular cat.

Sorry that this could not be entertaining. I am enclosing another variation of the Dixie Highway song, this one being the "pineing"** version of it. With the exception of Jn and Red Queen, y'all likely really won't care too much.

* Meeow + Bark = mee-ark
** To pine = to lament the loss of, to miss


Dixie Highway

In a God forsaken town late
Take-out chicken landscape
running flat out thru the southern night,
not getting anywhere

Night clerk hands me off the keys
the run down warmth of 313
Y'all gonna need a wake-up, sir,
or just a little peace?

Motel sign says:
Dixie Highway
Vacancies....YES
Phone...Pool...
and Color TV

cup of stale black coffee
from the motel lobby
And 'neath the neon flashing sign
I conjur up this prayer

God, you know she's out there
Think maybe I might just still care
Make it rain real slow tonight
so she can feel my tears

And the Motel sign says:
Dixie Highway
Vacancies....YES
Phone...Pool...
and Color TV

Whispered that you loved me
like I'd never felt no sunshine
A simple smile for simple times
and promises I'm buying.

Told you half my secrets
shared you half my stories
saved my soul to hear you laugh
if only for a while

'Cause somewhere is the one I'm
wishing I had here tonight
Longing for what's slipped away
has always been my style

Falling for the ones who
in matters of affection
consider life a small thing
compared to just one lie.

The Motel sign says:
Dixie Highway
Vacancies....YES
Phone...Pool...
and Color TV

Dixie Highway...motor keeps turning
Never stop...never gonna stop(repeat & fade)

Ed


Take the last train to Clarksville and I'll meet you in the morning, out
Ramblin' Ed

5 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Falling for the ones who in matters of affection consider life a small thing compared to just one lie.

Same lines I liked before only not at all and "Longing for what's slipped away has always been my style" gave it a good run for it's money...I like this game of 4 different sets of words. I like this game a lot.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I knew you'd like it. I do too. We share a wonder for words.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say, that's some dog-cat ya got there. Now if we could just teach him to bark. Mew-ark won't cut it.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Mee-ark, I'm glad you explained that one.

We've something similar, one of the cats growls when the UPS guy comes up on the porch.

Plus, one of the dogs only barks at the small school bus, nothing else. The gas meter reader, the water meter reader, the neighbor's dog, no problem. She just barks at the small school bus.

Go figure.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Yeah, Gunner. Animals are like little people. Psychotic.

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home