Friday, March 17, 2006

It's Friday so I must be headed back to work

The weekend is over and all of my literary been-gonnas fell by the wayside again. Well, almost all. I did write one poem and start two others. Juices weren't really flowing too good.

American Inventor... hmmm, not sure yet. It was kind of entertaining. But it was also kind of not. We'll give it another shot to decide.

Took Nong to the doctor's yesterday and was hit with the realization that having the most expensive health care in the world is not the same thing as having the best. We were in a mill, as best I can tell. We were met at the door by indifferent receptionists who did little to hide their boredom.

The "office" is in a strip mall unit and is in need of repair. The first thing you notice is the door slamming shut behind you because the little closer arm at the top is wore out. You will notice it again repeatedly as you wait for your doctor. You notice it in the way you notice something like a glass door slamming every 25 seconds or so. The wallpaper on the baseboards was peeling or missing, the pipes were bare, the floors needed sweeping and the magazines were all emblazoned with DO NOT STEAL. I felt like I was in the free clinic on the poorest side of a poor town in Louisiana. Again.

To add to the ambiance, there were the posters explaining how to get government aid to pay for your medicine or a program for "pill splitting" as a way to stretch your medicine dollar. Both of these made me think some very non-Republican thoughts about our health care system.

When we met our Doctor, A Dr. Frizzell, she was nice enough and seemed caring and competent enough, she listend well and offered us some different alternatives to what my wife has tried before. I couldn't help but smile and wonder if she was distantly related to Lefty Frizzell. I didn't ask.

I was a yard working fool for two days, even electing to take my after lunch naps outside in a chair. I put some lawn chairs in another shady spot I had prepared. Now I have a new, peaceful "fort".

One of my previous bosses from Japan is coming down to stay with us Sunday and Monday, but that does not keep me from having to work both days. Nong has those days off from school and will be forced to accompany them to Busch Gardens for the day. Then the boss before him, again in Japan, called and wants me to come up to Jacksonville and be in his retirement ceremony. It is also on a work day, but I will look for a swap. If I can't get a swap, I'll ask for the day off. If I can't get the day off, I'll just take the day off. Hate to do that, but I owe that man a lot.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but the wife is also now a full time student at the Artistic Nails and Beauty Academy. She even has her own Sallie Mae loan in her own name. She is getting her license for nails and for skin care. She can begn work immediately, as people in two different shops have offered to hire her. There are pretty much plenty of nail artists around, but far fewer skin technicians, which makes her more in demand. In the long run, I think it was a good move.

Sorry this was so boring. I really, really want to find the time to spin a tale. Maybe I can do it tomorrow.

What's That Say? 16 March, 2006

Must have come when I wasn't needed
And stayed longer than I should
I brought what I had to offer you
It really didn't do no good

You said you enjoyed to talk and all
But you want to pick the place
The time has to be just right and still
You ain't liking face to face

You'll drop a line but won't pick up the phone
Now what's that say, girl
Me and you... what's that say, girl
Ain't that's just the way you've done

You talk how we got that thread that runs
And heartbeats that chase the night
I know what we know we shared because
I knew when you hurt inside

Takes nerve to become a lover, but
Costs nothing to be a friend
Back when you'd take the chance to lose
That's when you'd let me in

You'll drop a line but won't pick up the phone
Now what's that say, girl
Me and you... what's that say, girl
I think the past is on it's own

Don't know that there's anything I need
Don't know that there's much to say
Don't know that I feel too broke apart
Just sad that we drift away

Beacuse you'd drop a line but won't pick up the phone
What's that say, girl
Me and you... what's that say, girl
It says more than what we know


Ed
Brandon


We built this city on Glocks and Skoal, out
Ramblin' Ed

4 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Wel, I hope Nong is alright.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I tuned into American Inventor a little late so I didn't learn what the end goal was.

After seeing some of the inventions presented, I'm thinking I should take in a couple of mine. I certainly have somethings better than the "smoking gun" or the automobile "dresses."

I think if I walked into a clinic looking as you described, I would walk right back out.

Hoping Nong gets better.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Nothing you write is boring, R' Ed.

Dittoes on health issues, hope she gets some good med advice and all goes well for her.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Congrats to Nong and going to school-and I loved the poem but then....

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home