Thursday, February 07, 2008

Two-fer Thursday

If you have not read this then you have not read the one preceeding it. I posted two at once. If you have already read this, ummmm, you kinda need to get a life.

We went out into the night market at Patpong last night. I bought some artwork for the house and a set of flip-flops. Yes, we ascertained last post that I am a big spender – NOT. I mean, by and large, it’s all the same crap they’ve been selling for years. You could say I am already crap rich and money poor. Knockoff purses, knockoff watches, knockoff Mont Blanc pens, knockoff sunglasses, and tee shirts for teenagers. It’s interesting to walk the market to gaze upon the truly weird, both the local and tourist variety, but as for shopping, I believe there are better venues. And lordy, lordy, are the prices jacked up for the tourists. I got my 3 picture set for 350 Baht, after a starting quote of 1850 Baht. I had to work at it, but I learned to bargain from a Thai man, so I am pretty good.

We are headed off to Ayutthaya (well, that spelling probably is not right, but I don’t seem to have the correct spelling in me this morning… not that you’d pronounce it correctly if I did) today or tomorrow. It is the old city and it sounds like a lot of fun. Not sure how we’ll get there. We could take a boat but the wife says it’s expensive. How expensive could it be though? I’ll defer, of course. I think she wants me to spend wisely because she has been spending her money like a drunken sailor which I, even when I actually WAS a drunken sailor, usually don’t. We had $3000 (each) for 2 weeks spending money. I am spending between $25 and $50 per day. Like I said, I’m already crap rich, so don’t buy a lot of stuff anymore. My guess is that she is expecting to appropriate my unused cash. As usual.

Done some quality time at the pool with a cigar and newspaper. European women are (mostly) not too hard on the eyes. And for some reason, a reason that whatever it is I find no argument with, they disdain all but the smallest amount of clothing. Not that I am feeling any more perverted than usual, but I have had my eyes open for those mirrored shades like we all had in the 70’s.

More to write, later. I want to get a pic of the pool before I write about t. It is soooo cool.


Trusty and dusty in Saphan Khwai, out

Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Hey, cool, y'all made it okay.

Wow, you do know how to bargain, 1800+ baht reduced to under 400. That is GOOD, R'Ed. I never had that knack, I envy you.

Be safe.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I am not good at many things, but what I am good at, I am very good at. Like I said, the Thai boy taught me well how to bargain. The sellers bank on us westerners being too embarrassed to ask for money off so they quadruple the price and then accept half off. Nice racket for them.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home