Thursday, March 10, 2005

How is this different from the Taliban?

I try to keep things light hearted but some things just scare me. I'm not really one to get all angry. But I do get fearful. While I try not to preach, moralize or push politics, sometimes I gotta tell you something. This is one of those times.

We are a Christian nation, for the most part, and that's cool. Every nation needs some kind of moral compass.

I am a Southern Baptist. Mostly, though I think the Southern Baptist Convention wanders far off course and goes to ridiculous extremes sometimes. I was raised in a North Carolina paper mill town with one grocer, one pharmacy, 1 gas station and a church on every corner, and I am content with that. It's who I am. But extremism, in anything, has always given me pause.

We all marveled at the lack of regard for women in Afghanistan, and the muslim world in general. At least the Arab muslim world in general. With that said, I copied this article off of a "Christian" website, and frankly, this mindset is disturbing. Is it really that far removed from requiring burkahs and male permissions for basic human freedoms? It sure doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me.

Here's an excerpt from the article. Enough to give you the gist of the line of reasoning, and hopefully make you go "Hmmmmm, that's pretty fascist." I don't believe this stuff is Christianity, and having said that, I hope I don't get attacked by fundamentalists.

Over the years I’ve noticed that Christian parents, as much as any parents, encourage their daughters to participate in sports. This is all the rage in our public schools, especially since the passage of Title IX by the feminists. Since most Christian parents send their children to the public schools, it doesn’t surprise many of us that Christians are influenced more by the secular school culture than by the culture of the Church. Worse, the Church itself is being more heavily influenced by the culture instead of the other way around. One of the trends in schools is the participation in sports by women; therefore it shouldn’t surprise us that so many Christian daughters today participate in sports. But is this really all that bad?

For those of us who believe we should train our daughters according to Titus 2, 1 Peter 3, and other Biblical passages, my answer is “Yes, it is not good.” I propose that sports greatly hinders the development of godly, Biblical, feminine character. Parents today expend extraordinary amounts of time and energy taking their daughters from one sports event to another, week after week, even to the point where it exhausts the family and family resources. The fruits we see are that today’s Christian women are often ill-prepared to be Biblically obedient wives and mothers. This brings to mind a couple of questions: “Why do we spend so much time preparing our daughters to play sports?" and "What does it prepare them for in the future?” My answer is that sports prepare women to be more like men. Instead of spending all that time preparing our daughters as the Bible directs, we are training them to be like men so they can better compete with men in traditionally masculine roles - i.e., compete with them in the workforce, in politics, in the military, and in sports.

Actually, I don’t have a problem with women playing recreational sports on an occasional basis, just with them playing competitive sports on a regular day-to-day basis. This rigorous physical and mental training tends to make women more masculine. I think it is prudent to often ask ourselves “Can a woman do this activity and retain a Biblically feminine character?” With sports I think it will be difficult in most cases. Even some of the traditionally more feminine sports like gymnastics and ice skating are now influencing women to be more masculine.

The Bible talks about women developing a quiet and gentle spirit; I think sports fosters anything but that. They instead develop a competitive and contentious spirit that will cause them to have great difficulty in their marriages. I already mentioned that the effort expended on sports will hinder the development of wifely duties around the home; even worse is when a man has to compete against his own wife in the workplace and community.

It continues, but you get the point. I find it pretty illogical, myself. For the whole story, FOLLOW THIS LINK.

Seriously, out
Travelin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah man, before you know it, they will be growing mustaches and opening doors for men. I disagree with the article in general. I see no difference in it and the Taliban, but, one being of a different religous theology.
If it gives women self esteem, then, I'm for it. It's hard to meet women with self esteem these day's. I veiw competition between men and women as bad. The two sex's have their roles and both are valuable. As long as it's not men against women in physical efforts. The two sex's were ment to live in harmony...

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home