Thursday, March 10, 2005

Sorry, y'all

Sorry for such weak posts of late, but I've been running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I dropped my retirement stuff off with the personnel people on Tuesday, came in for some fine tuning on the package on Wednesday and by Wednesday afternoon I had my tickets home. Wow.

So I have been putting checks in all the boxes the last few days. You know, housing, household goods, the bank, and all the various other loose ends I can start tying up at a leisurely pace now that I have informed them all of my solid separation date. Should slow down now that they've all been notified.

Had to buy my own tickets home. I know what I said in the first paragraph, and it's true. I did get tickets from them. But tickets that met their needs, not mine. Let me 'splain.

They had me flying to Chicago then Jacksonville FL to muster out. My wife was flying to Dallas, on a different airlines, and down to Tampa, FL which is our home of record. That's all in accordance with procedures and I accepted it.

I asked if I could
a) change her ticket, or b) change her ticket and pay the difference, or c) change my ticket to Tampa and drive up to Jax, because Nong wasn't familiar with the US at all and I wasn't about to send her through customs, immigration and DFW all with such a limited ability to communicate. But...One, two, three strikes you're out. None of those were possible. Again, no sweat. I politely told them to cancel the wife's ticket and I would buy her one myself. I was not upset at all because I know all about government furnished tickets and all the rigamarole associated, and pretty much expected this scenario might come about.

So I bought her a ticket on my flight, used my miles to upgrade her to Business Class and then took my gov't ticket and told them to upgrade it to Business also. Of course, my ticket proved to be non-upgradeable. Screw it, I thought, I'll buy my own ticket. And I was just about to buy two upgraded tickets to Jax when I realized, "Hey...if I'm buying the cotton picking ticket, then I'm not required to fly into Jax necessarily. They're required to send me there, but I'm not obligated to take their ticket if I don't want to. I just miss out on the free fare." So instead I bought 2 tickets to Tampa. I'll spend the night with the folks and drive my truck back up to Jax the next day. Then I won't be stuck hoofing it for the whole 3-11 days I'm up there. Good plan, well executed.

I will touch down at Tampa International Airport 1600-ish on the 26th of July, never to wear the uniform again. I will still be getting paid for 2 months of permissive temporary duty and leave, but for all intents and purposes I am out in July. They'll mail me the DD-214 on the 30th of September and I am officially a civilian.

Last note here, I got another call back on my resume, so I can see now that I won't be unemployed. I will actually have a choice of jobs it looks like and that has to be a good thing. The last people to call back was for a job as a trainer in a marketing company in Tampa. I haven't taken it yet, but it's nice to know it's offered.

Peeps, out.
Travelin Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Mona,
What the hell? Smack yourself upside the head a good one 'cause it sounds like you're stuck.

Anyway, I don't buy drugs over the internet. I'm all about the streets, yo. But thanks for the spam, hear?
Travelin' Ed

4:08 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Shame on Mona! I don't care if she has nice legs and wavy hair!But, If she's Fran Dreschers twin...maybe.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home