Sunday, March 06, 2005

Nivea Furman

Got to work safely. Thank you. One song each from Izzy Strandlin, John Prine, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown and Lynyrd Skynyrd satisfied the duration of the drive. In the mornings (at 5:20 AM) the commute goes pretty quickly. It's getting home what sucks.

Had a few things meandering through my head as I drove. Don't really know why my neurons fire the way that they do, but since it's the way I was wired I deal with it.

I use Nivea for Men products. They're right decent, and lord knows a man's gotta keep his face smooth. But I take a small backwards step over the fact that they're French products. No, I'm not one of those "Freedom Fries" fools (yep that whole Freedom Fries thing made the world take us seriously, didn't it?). But in the last year I have noticed a few personal changes. While minor at first, they are beginning to worry me. For instance, the other day in Yokohama I was apparently near a petting zoo but didn't know it. While I was talking to Rod, a goat had come up and was standing behind me, fairly closely. I remember thinking, "Dang, Miss. You're smelling might fine." Yep--French-enized. And another disturbing trend...my machismo. Now I walk around with a big chip on my shoulder, griping and skulking and always ready to instigate a fight I can run away from. French-enized, I tell you.

Watched the premiere of Amazing Race last night. Man, that show is so-o-o cool. I really want to be on it. I know I can do it. I'm pulling for Boston Rob and Amber to win it. Last night was funny. Anytime anybody did anything or went anywhere the only thing they were concerned with was "Where's Rob and Amber?" I'm thinking they should spend more time considering what they need to do and less time wondering what someone else is or isn't doing. But that's just me. I'm a hard charger thataway.

Being married to an Asian is..is...well, it's not dull. I think you should all try it once. Except you girls, y'all just need an Asian girlfriend 'cause same sex marriage right now is, well complicated.

Some random examples, presented randomly in random order:

1. For no known reason you end up with a collection of giant, painted ceramic eggs in one corner. Some as large as a beer keg.
2. Things you're not even sure you should be touching are finding their way onto the dinner table.
3. You know six different brands of phone cards and the pros and cons of each. An interesting aside, the Phillippine Airlines phone card (why?...I don't know) rewards you for using their card by increasing your luggage weight allowance incrementally with each card. [That does go a long way towards explaining how a couple flying economy class back to the PI can get by with having 4 suitcases and 9 bulging boxes to check and I end up throwing away my socks and paperback book in an attempt to make the NorthWorst Airlines weight restrictions.]
4. No matter how hard you fight it, karaoke is creeping into your den.
5. When you hear muttering in her native tongue, batten down the hatches 'cause your're heading for a real rough ride.
6. Although y'all don't have a lot of new clothes, you suddenly realize that she's doing laundry about 8 times a week. And you can't figure out how it even has time to get dirty between such frequent washings.
7. She loves you with all of her heart, but if her "real family" (mom or grandmom) calls and needs something, you're on your own, buddy.
8. Any time you travel, even to a place you've never been before, she will have a friend who has a friend there and you'll end up carrying something to give to them. That is a 100% certianty.
9. She learns "Asshole" first time she hears it but cannot for the life of her remember "Tupperware".
10. Somehow you have learned to discern the subtle differences between the various rices and noodles.

And the biggest change in life as you know it: You have indoor slippers, porch slippers and bathroom slippers (I kid you not) and now you freak out when you get more than 3 steps inside the house before realizing, "OH CRAP!!! I STILL HAVE MY SHOES ON."

I'll leave you with that.
Swasdee kob, Sayanora, out
Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home