Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Linger

I was riding my bike in to work one day and words just kept coming to me. It was about a 10 minute ride and by the time I got in I had the first 3 stanzas of this one all laid out. I just had to pop in a chorus, in this case one of them I like to call a mutating chorus 'cause it keeps changing slightly, give it some added length and get that sucker down to paper.

I love the part about "I think she must be really smart/she doesn't say a thing." It comes from when I used to say if a chick was interested in you she'd ignore you and then I would proceed to point out how every girl at the mall must really want me based on the fact that they were all quite effectively ignoring me. I didn't get much back then, if you're wondering...which I suspect you're not. Please read LINGER, but, and I cannot stress this enough, if you are in a public or semi-private place, try not to annoy others. Thank you.

Linger

I wrote my name in steel gray clouds
Then made my ponies fly
Don't ask about the blood I've shed
It's not for you to mind
The road is long and ornery

Like the twisting turns you 'round
Her smile, just like the wintertime
Up and knocked me down

Chorus 1:
Last night and tomorrow linger on
Lipstick on the mirror
Hints that she's already gone
Don't make me laugh that true love waits
It never could sit still
I never knew and guess I never will

I ran my heart up like a flag
It danced there in the wind
While just a random point of view
It's still where I begin
I gave my love like roses

Yet the flowers share no pain
Our moments crossed then intertwined
Unraveled once again

Chorus 2:
Last night and tomorrow linger on
I can't feel the music
When I try to sing along
I always heard that true love waits
But it ain't waiting still
A twist of fate as crazy as it feels.

I must accept some things don't change
And that's when you just quit
We've all got our own tale to tell
And make the best of it
So fascinated I've become

Lost in my own designs
My past becomes unguarded
As a crooked piece of time.

Chorus 3:
Last night and tomorrow linger on
I've tried to get away from me
But I'm already gone
I've seen me run from true love
Moving slow but gaining steam
Too stupid still to come in from the pain

I think she must be really smart
She never says a thing
Maybe has a secret life
That don't have room for me
I've never gave it that much thought

Don't need that dose of blues
And things are looking clear enough
Mixed coffee with my booze

Tag:
It's fascinating, I've become
Lost in my own designs
My past becomes unguarded
As a crooked piece of time.

Ed
CPOQ Yokosuka Japan

Carryback, out
Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home