Monday, March 14, 2005

Nice ring to it

Been a little busy the last few days. First there was the ACC tournament to watch...if you call jumping out of your chair, shaking your fist at the TV and screaming "Damn you, JJ Redick. Damn you!" over and over as he wielded his 3 point dagger on your team watching. I gotta hand it to the Dookies. They don't have the team like they usually do and yet...ACC Champions and #1 seed at the dance. So there you go. And NC State's showing in the tourney got them to the dance also, where I hope they'll do some damage. Back the Pack!!

Yesterday at work the internet was down. Which is good from the standpoint that no new taskers came in from the mothership in Virginia. But bad in that there was nothing to do but actual work. I got my presentations all prepared for what I think is my last training mission. Saturday I hop the Shin-kansen (bullet train) down to Kyoto and then take a regular train over to Higashi Maizuru for a two week mission on the Japanese ship JDS Myoko. That's some big per diem $$. Even the Japanese suck air through their teeth, shake their head and say, "Oh, Kyoto Prefecture is very expensive." And these are the same folks who don't blink at $3.50+ for a cup of coffee...each, no free refills. We're in a real nice hotel, the Mare Takata, which I understand has high speed internet in the rooms. If I go incommunicado on you, it means I understood wrong.

I got an offer from American Express over the weekend to come work for them. As a Financial Advisor. Like the ring to that..."Hi, I'm Ed. I'll be your financial advisor." Not bad for a guy who, after 14 years, still barely cleared the bar to graduate high school. In fact, true story here, my mom had my graduation notices printed up and they read, "....proudly announce that their son, William E. Abernathy, has finally graduated Brandon Senior High School..." Not kidding, the wench had them print that. I was LMAOing even before there was LMAO!

Like the one from Lockheed Martin, I took it as a serious offer because they contacted me rather than I applied to them. I wrote back that I would not be available until August, a fact that I had stated plainly in my resume cover letter, a fact I suposed that they had overlooked, and a fact that I was pretty certian would lead to a "thanks, but no thanks. Better luck next time" form letter. Instead I got a nice response of "We look forward to your return from overseas. Please contact _______ ______ when you get back." Wow. American Express. Maybe I'll get an employee discount on money. That'd be cool.

Can't think of nothing else now. Hang loose. And, if anybody asks, "How's it hanging?" you can say, "Loose."

What!?!, out,
Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home