Friday, July 08, 2005

A novel idea

Suppose you wanted to write the American novel. Not necessarily the Great American novel, but a long, thick book you hoped to sell. Hopefully well written enough that Oprah helps you hawk it. Now suppose you need a kick in the pants to get it going. That's where I come in. I can help. Here are a series of opening lines guaranteed to get you started:

1. Willie was an acorn but he was small and misshapen.

2. Kupchek said, as calmly as was possible given the situation, "Put the stewardess down and we can talk about the post it notes."

3. Halfway across the road the squirrel froze. "Damn, I'm gonna die. And I never got to see anything outside of Illinois."

4.To the rest of the world it appeared that Jenny was dancing on one leg, when she was actually dancing on the other leg.

5. Almost simutaneously, Leonard realized that he was alergic to stings and his nickname was "Honeypants".

6. The factory whistle blew up injuring 3 hourly workers and destroying a shrub.

7. It was a mid-sized sedan, but it caught her eye.

8. "Don't tell my heart. My achy breaky heart" kept playing in his head as he drove through the night and the lights of Souix City faded deeper and deeper into the distance.

9. "The Red Queen made me do it!", he cried out, but the attendant just shook his head and kept dialing the police.

10. I was smiling as I filled my front pockets with cream cheese. I would be needing my back pockets for later.

There you go. I hope in some small way this will help you. I live to be of service to others. And Riley, right now you don't really know if that's true or not. But you will.

Travelin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

And to every one of those beginings I have at least a second sentence. Though I never was good at stories. Seems I just cant stay on topic long enough to bang one out. -Jn

2:32 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I don't doubt you could add to these great starts. Probably some of the additions would be drawn from personal experience, too.

It's easy to stay on one topic if you drink a lot of cough syrup. I know, who knew? It is, unfortunately, a lot harder to make sense. Six of one, half dozen of the other, so pick your poison.*

Travelin Ed

* There. I used the full day's quota of cliches in one place.

Travelin' Ed

2:59 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

What would Mrs Powell have to say about those ugly little cliches?

Great starts- maybe I will steal one someday and add it to my repituere of liesor whopper stories as they are sometimes called.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home