Thursday, October 20, 2005

.....Marco.... Polo.....Marco.....Polo.....

It is 0736 no matter what the blog time tag says. I hate it when that happens. Dang lying time tags.





Hurricane Wilma, and I must make note of what an un-pretty name that is, meanders ever closer towards Florida. It is a big one according to the breathless meteorologists on TV. During hurricane season they probably don't even need sex, just plenty of bad weather to report. Anyway, all morning I have been mulling this one thing over and over. Why hasn't the garbage man come yet?

I have never been fired from a job. I am forty-five years old, so I had a forty-five year streak going. It came to an end yesterday. I got let go. I was shocked and kinda teary eyed for 2 hours or so, but then I put it behind me. What are you gonna do? I think it was for a reason other than stated, but so what? No rants. No bad mouthing of the company. I'll just put an entry in the "Things I Think I Won't Do Again" column and hit the bricks again.


Some people, however, deserve an extra little pat on the back.
1. My wife, who was very supportive and comforting yesterday. Love grows in some rocky dirt sometimes.
2. My folks. They have that supportive parents skill down pat. If you got to pick your parents, I'd pick them again.
3. Murf. She was a most supportive 3rd party shoulder to lean on yesterday. I needed it. She's got a smart mouth and a warm heart. Good credentials in my book.

The wife decided that yesterday was as good a time as any to go look for work. We are not poor or desperate or anything like that. We'll be OK for a while, but like anybody else, would prefer to have a steady cash flow in and out, instead of a savings flow in the outward direction only.

So we went to the mall, where she got increasingly comfortably walking up and asking, "May I have application, please?" She wants to work. Right now to help the household a little, but also for the "mad money" once I find my new job. I have always let her keep 100% of her pay to buy whatever she wants to.

I also think she is finally getting bored sitting in the house all day. It's about time! I need her to get out. Meet people. Make friends. It ain't no life until you're out and living it. But, over time, I have learned to let her move at her own pace. It's less painful that way.


My 5 "Attaboys" for today, in no particular order, are:

1. The dude who invented Lucky Charms. Kudos, my man.
2. Matt Groenhing (Spelling is suspect). The Simpsons Rule.
3. Archie Manning. Good boys you raised up, Arch.
4. Daniel Boone. The real one, not Fess Parker.
5. The guy who realized that the more plys toilet paper has, the softer it can be. This guy might have been a been a lady. I don't put too much research into these things.

Honorable mention to Ben Affleck for not shooting himself by now. You're a strong dude.

Remember Johnny "Guitar" Watson? I was listening to him yesterday. I like the funk and soul mixed with the wailing guitar. Good stuff, Maynard.

I am waiting restlessly for I WALK THE LINE to come out. That's the Johnny Cash bio-pic. I'm taking dad. I know he'll enjoy it. I always tell everybody about how him and Johnny Cash used to hang out in Arkansas before Johnny moved to Tennessee and hit it big. I tell them all kinds of exciting tales of their misadventures. None true, of course. To my knowledge dad has never met, much less hung out with, the man. But I still tell 'em good.

An old poem since the new one still ain't finished:

Still Doin' Fine 15 Feb, 1980

I'm not really sure 'bout this travelin' I've done
It's been too many miles all around
California was nice but I didn't think twice
When they told me to get out of town

Been wonderin' if the postman could find you
I've got a song that you really should hear
I mailed the tape yesterday and I just gotta say

It was written in the grip of despair

One day I'm gonna write you a letter
Just to let you know I'm still doin' fine
Wore my heart on my sleeve when I just had to leave
Now my heart's in my back pocket this time

You know, I really don't expect you to answer
I'd even settle for a "how do you do"
The bitter feelings aside, you've gotten colder than ice
I've got these postal service red, white, and blues

I guess I really ought to write you that letter
Just to let you know I'm still doin' fine
I wore my heart on my sleeve and said I've just gotta leave
And now my heart's in my back pocket this time

Ed
San Diego

"But Mr. Trump...", "Shut up. You're fired!", out
Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Fired? Nay... you were given an opportunity to go find that something that will fire up your soul, will make getting up and going off to work a joy.

Perseverance

bcumeg (Be seeing you, Meg?)

9:44 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Bummer man, my thoughts are with you during this transition.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, while you kinda hate it when you screw things up, life moves on. I am sure I'm the poster child for not crying over spilled milk.

Thanks for te support.

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home