Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I am a mite offended

A mite offended means I'm a little offended. I can see that a case could (I almost said might) be made to read it as if I am one of any of various small or minute arachnids of the order Acarinathat that are often parasitic on animals and plants and I have taken offense. But that is not what I meant.

Nope. I'm more or less peeved at how ignorant TV advertisers think that I am. Let's take Dell, for example. They're a big company. And yet they resort to wordplay and trickery. And I am talking, folks, about a real commercial running nationally. So you can check my accuracy here yourself.

They want to sell me a $549 desktop computer. That does sound like a good price. And it is. But listen closely to what the guy says. "After mail in rebate when you order online". If I have to order online to get the rebate, how come I then have to snail mail a rebate form? If I can order it online and pay for it online, why can't I request my rebate online? But wait, like all things rinky dink, there's more.

Then they shout at you in big letters FREE SHIPPING while offering up in whispered small print plus $24 Handling. So, let me see if I've got this right, where most companies can ship and handle their products for around $5.95 to $7.95, the big ol' Dell company needs three times that just to handle it?

Heck, what does that mean, anyway? To put it in the box? To put a shipping lable on it? To take it to the post office? Do they perhaps actually mean fondling, which may indeed be worth the $24? I don't know. But what I do know is that those things are part of the act of selling me something. Why do I need to pay extra to get you to do it? Me thinks me smells a ripoff.

Deon Sanders is still playing football. What a surprise. And for a crappy team, no less.

Lastly, and this is mainly of interest to me and me alone, there are five ACC teams in the Top 25. Six, if you count Boston College, which I guess we gotta do now even though it just don't seem natural. Anyway, the news is this. When the crawler where I'm getting this info went by on ESPN last night, it listed NC State as #18 and UNC as #19*. Take that, Tarheel pukes. Back the Pack!

* The paper this morning stated that #18 Indiana defeated unranked Charlotte last night. So something don't add up too good. But as long as NCSU is ranked higher than UNC, all is right in the world.

And a side of grits, please, out
Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Navery is a good word for it I beleive.
7 lettrs

6:57 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Hey, Ramblin' Ed roll your own. I did it about 6 yrs ago (Windows 98) and it's still a good computer

9:01 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Wow, Gunner interesting. I tried that on a manufacturer's web site once, but found it a lot cheaper in the end to just buy a prefab one at Best Buy.

My biggest thing is the trickery. $550 is a good price for a computer. So is $575. Just tell me you want $575, take my money, and send it to me. Don't charge me $650 make me mail off for $100 back and then also tack on $25 fee for selling it to me. It just pisses me off. Like paying $79 per day for a rental car that they advertse for $29 per day. Seems they didn't advertise sales tax, tourist tax, gas, prep, cleaning, insurance and whatever else. Screw you! How much is it, out the door??

Ooops. Pardon my digression.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home