Saturday, March 18, 2006

"Ticked off wife eye". Oh my.

She don't prance and she don't strut. In fact she hardly moves at all. Her voice is not that rich in range, but sometimes she does let out a growl. You can barely hear her dialog between songs, but she mostly just states the name of the next song and launches into it, unlike, say, Robert Earl Keen, who tells entire fantastic tales between songs. I know I have mentioned her before. And I know that when I did I spoke highly of her. Because I think so highly of her. Singer. Songwriter. Minimalist songwriter at that. Lucinda Williams. Check her out.
NC State beat California in the first round last night. I got to watch it. The wife was too busy making the guest room ready to give me a hard time about it. A couple of times she walked by and gave me the ticked off wife eye, which means I am supposed to realize that I should offer to help with the ________ (laundry, dishes, cooking, spring cleaning, etc.). NC State was playing in the big dance, so... what evil eye? I don't see no evil eye.

Norton (Symantec) released an update on Wednesday that caused all of our subscribers who had Norton to have connection problems. Seems Norton would see our software as a worm that was attacking, well, ourselves. Yep, we were seen as a big, suicidal internet worm bent on self-destruction and Norton was having none of it. What does that mean to me? Think of it this way. Several million subscribers, many unable to connect and not sure why, all being afflicted simutaneously, about 150 of us to help them through someone else's software. I was kinda busy yesterday.

Wrote this when I got home. Like yesterday's poem, this one is pretty autobiographical and for a friend, although this one flows better and has what I call a "slinkier" feel to it. I think I got one more in me before I'm done this week. In my head this sounds like if a John Prine song was being delivered with the Allman's blues rock sensibilities. Yes, I do indeed think so specifically about things like this. Can't help it, I just do.

You and Me 17 March, 2006

It's hot as sin without no wind
the orange groves roll by
The blossoms smell so sweet that I could die

There's still a few old back roads left
like stories got no points
Like everything these days, so hard to find


Me and you was black and blue

and running in the wind

Wild young boys out making noise,

the noise what makes us friends

I thought I might drop by a while
I thought you might not mind

I might just stop and then not stay a while


There's cypress trees far as I see

but that ain't very far

Just like a real good time to disappear

Now the bottle's half past empty
And them girls ain't pretty yet

While a couple days becomes a couple years


Me and you was one and two

Like orange is to mauv
e
Like helter gone a'skelter, son

That's just the way it goes

I thought I might be dropping in

I knew you wouldn't mind
If I rolled up and I might not stay a while


A starry night has always held

a little rock and roll
But rock and roll won't make her knees go weak

It's a simple situation

If the songs can gild the pain

Them songs that started out as you and me

Me and you was black and blue
and running in the wind

Wild young boys out making noise,

the noise what makes us friends

I thought I might be passing through

Remember all them times
We did not hang around. It was our style


Me and you was slacker blues

We did not hang around


Ed

Brandon


Toothpick is to forest as lipstick is to.....?, out
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

as lipstick is to walrus...

12:35 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Well from personal experience...

...lipstick is to downtown Minneapolis on a Friday night.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home