Sunday, March 26, 2006

Wodam

There comes a time in every cat's life. Perhaps this is it. Perhaps it is not. While that remains to be seen, what I seen does not. Remain to be. The scene I seen I mean.

But first, a stream of consciousness:

Sushine makes me think of warm weather makes me think of t shirts makes me think of concert tshirts from my youth makes me think of the KISS concert makes me think of Gene Simmons makes me think of Richard Simmons makes me think of David Letterman chasing him around spraying him with a fire extinguisher makes me think of frantic schoolgirls makes me think of my taxes going up (to build more schools for more frantic little schoolgirls) makes me think of why did so many New Yorkers move here anyway makes me think of how forested upstate NY really is makes me think of why would anyone live in Eastern PA makes me think of the god-awful Fran Drescher accent Ernie's young wife possessed makes me think of Rhode Island makes me think of the Pontiac Bonneville we drove there once makes me think of Boston makes me think of the coolest, most giantest record store I've ever been in makes me think of obscure zydeco artists makes me think of that this could go on forever makes me think of you're glad it is stopping here.

So ol' Yuki is now, or at least for the forseeable future, known by the moniker Wodam. The cigar tree intrigues (or more accurately in tree-gues) her to no end. It is part giant cat toy and part giant cat toy with birds hopping around in the upper branches, going about their business in a way that says to cats, "Come and kill me for no other reason than I am moving in provocative, jerky motions."

Now Yuki never gets anywhere close to them despite the fact that she stalks them mightily. Pepe doesn't even get that close. In fact, he's just barely in the same tree, but he is a) getting a might pudgy for stealth and, b) a dog, and therefore more amazed that he can get into a tree to run around than he is inclined to commit wildlife murder for the simple stated reason of "because I can".

So (again with the "so". I should get a better vocabulary) I hear a commotion from the tree above me. Pepe is still gathering his energy for the 4 foot leap to the bottom branch, whilst hauling rather hefty ass as it were, so I know he is not involved in the fracas. With Pepe in sight I know that Yuki, who is still Yuki and not yet Wodam, has somehow snuck up on a bird, perhaps of the short bus variety, and is now pretty much smacking them about and pulling off their wings. Birdicide. Verily.

I look up, not real sure I want to see the carnage, as I kinda like birds, especially cardinals, and it is not exactly what I am expecting to see.

By the way, when I was a kid we had a Corvaire. No one really remembers them all that well. I just remember they looked vaguely fish or seal-like and ours was aqua colored. Who buy s an aqua colored car? Besides us, I mean.

When I look up, expecting bird guts, I get cat butt. Seems ol' Yuki got to thinking she was good enough that she didn't have to pay attention to what she was doing and there she is, straddling from the bottom of the limb she had previously been atop of, claws out, flailing rather wildly as she tries to get the purchase required to get back up instead of falling to the ground in a most unceremonious heap. In true cat fashion, her look is part "there's nothing to see here...I am in complete control...in fact, I meant to do this" and part "Whoa!! Damn!!" Hence her new nickname: Wodam.

Thank you. Enjoy your Sunday.

It's a happy enchelada and you think you're gonna drown, out
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Cats definitely have an entertainment gene. They are fun to watch, especially when they think they are being so suave and so with it and such a superior creature... then they have one of those "DOH!" moments of which you write.

It must be very embarrassing to them.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Oh yes, the "Happy Enchilada" song. When I first heard some say that I had to think awhile before understanding what they meant. Then I heard old John refer to it on one of his live albums sometime later. Its right up there with "A Bathroom on the Right."

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home