Thursday, April 13, 2006

I have two places. One for everything and one for everything else.

So... theoretically, there are 24 hours in a day. Not mine, of course, but everyone else's. I am not certian how many hours are in my day. It is more than just a few, but comes up well shy of the allotted 24 that I am supposed to get.

I base this on the fact that I wake up and enjoy a leisurely cuppa joe. Next, I go out and warm up the truck. So far, so good. After that I basically run from place to place to place doing thing after thing (sorry for all the technical terms here). At a point I am to my last thing and have either finished it or abandoned it, and have come home.

At home I have a list of things I want to get done. Many of you have a list like this. It functions simply. You merely add a job to the bottom of the list, make a commitment to yourself to knock these jobs out soon, then walk away. The next interaction you will have with the list is to add another job. Sometimes you will stare at the list and shake your head. But then you move on.

Mostly I just wander around, getting ready to do something, getting sidetracked by a plant that needs watering or a weed (and another and another) that needs pulling, and getting sidetracked from that by a phone that needs answering or a cat that needs chasing.

I do, however, get my requisite 2 hours of prime time TV. 8 PM - 10 PM is not to be disturbed. Me and my tube. Back away, Jack, I will scar you up. Talk to me not. Bother me not. Request my assistance not. Hover in my peripheral vision not. Anything besides quietly watching with me, and saving commentary until commercials, is a not. Surprisingly enough, I will let you keep the remote. All night and all day even. Only thing is... don't use it except for volume control. I already have it on the right channel.

My clock is a pretty simple also. It is not digital as I am pretty much an analog guy. Instead of the twelve hours on the face, it just has these for markings: NOT YET & TOO LATE. That comes in handy. You know it is too soon to start something or that the moment has passed. There's talk on the street of a model that has a DO IT NOW position also, but that model, if it even exists, is not yet available in my area.

So anyway, my posts are sporadic. My poems are rushed. My stories are once again building up inside, and will eventually seep out of my orofices... and by that I am thinking ears, eyes and mouf, anything else you are thinking is just wrong... like lava down the side of a volcano. Eventually this topsy turvy will come to rest. It looks like soon. The pieces are slowly coming into place and stability is on the horizon.

So, for now, check in every so often. I have already considered shutting down the blog and decided against it. Whether or not that's your gain is debateable. Still, occasionally I still hit my stride and it would be a shame if I had no outlet for the musings.

Like I fell off the cliff and haven't hit the bottom yet, out
Ramblin' Ed

4 comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Sometimes it just feels like Sunday on a Saturday afternoon.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Amen. To that. It's a crooked piece of time that we live in.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

"It's a crooked piece of time that we live in." That my dear friend is the best thing you wrote today and I double dog dare you to make it bigger. I am glad that you are choosing to keep the blog- I would be beyond unconsolable if you quit and face it- You are many things but never one to quit mid-page.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Life... the route doesn't always go thru the flatlands. It's more like hills and valleys, ups and downs, highs and lows.

Besides, I went and changed my avatar just for you.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home