Monday, November 13, 2006

God Speed, OttoBall

A bittersweet weekend. I know I am some pie in the sky dreamer when it comes to what I want, but that's who I am.

It was nice to go out and buy the things we needed wihout worrying about money. I had never been able to justify replacing the guest room TV, which is TV number 3, while I was working minimum wage. It was nice to take our friends from Jacksonville out to dinner and feel comfortable reaching for the check. So far, so normal, right?

I don't like the cost of making money. I don't hate the job. I love the job. I don't worry about the time at work. The time at work pays the bills. But the commute, the time sitting in traffic jamming to Kid Rock (or DBT... or Shooter Jennings... or Tom Downs), looking stellar but knowing that the hands of time keep crawling by on me. I don't consider it to be "quality time" and I cannot get it back. And that depresses me. I know - pie in the sky. I want my pay and I want my free time, too.

Keeping with the bittersweet theme for a minute - My friends from Jax. I love to see them. He was my Officer in Charge at the detachment in Yokosuka, and he and his family have also been our good friends. I went to see him just before starting this job, because I knew he'd be happy for me and get me pumped up to hit the deckplates running, as we would say. I could ramble on here, but suffice to say it is one of those tight knit bonds that occur between military folk serving together.

So the reason he got to come by and stay with me for a week is because I'm in close proximity to MacDill AFB, which is where he flies out of when he leaves his family behind to serve in Qatar for a year. And only a few weeks removed from his routine 6 month deployment on his ship. We both smile and talk about how maybe he can get a flight home once a quarter to visit the family. And, as a couple of career navy men, we know there will always be a reason it won't happen.

I have good scotch, Cuban cigars, and an unqualified friendship to offer him. We will talk about good things and bad times and crazy afternoons that may or may not have involved warm beer and hookers. We'll validate our membership in the Florida chapter of the Mutual Admiration Club. But we will NOT talk about that big, hairy, 400 pound gorilla of a bummer sitting in the living room floor that is the deployment. It'll happen regardless. Instead, we enjoy our friendship. God Speed, OttoBall.

To our last night ashore
Drink to the foam

Until we meet again

Here's wishing you a happy journey home, out

Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aye Aye...

Pipedragger

4:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you sir for asking. :)

6:02 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I WAS HERE, Ed. Oops, cap lock.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home