Saturday, February 09, 2008

Not Sikh, SICK!

(Actual view from the room)

Well, I went down hard Thursday evening at 9:30 PM and got back up Saturday at 6:30 AM. Missed all of Friday, except for an hour when I tried, and failed, to eat.

I was meeting some friends Thursday night down at the CoCo Walk area, and we were headed down to The Prince. I got there early as I am a bona fide master of the Sky Train, so I was sitting there sipping a Singh when they arrived. Fast forward about 30 minutes and I turned to Lee and said, “If it weren’t utterly ridiculous in this setting, I’d suspect someone had slipped me a mickey.” “How so?” “Well, I’m still working on my first beer and my head is spinning and I am feeling somewhat out of body. It feels like I am very stoned, which is normally at least a little pleasurable. But right now it has me way out of sorts and more than a little freaked out.”

We thought about it and the best we could come up with was that I’d eaten something bad, although I have not eaten street food this trip. Still, a wretch, a poop, and another wretch later I was feeling brave enough to high-tail it home. I did successfully navigate the Sky Train, the mad dash transfer at Siam Station, and the small boat back across the river. Got in at 9:30, fell face down on the bed, stomach churning and, for some unknown reason, my arms were aching. I fell into a deep and fitful sleep. I will not chronicle all the ups and downs as I ran between the bed and the toilet, but 36 hours later, most of it asleep, I am better.

I had to laugh at the wife through it all. She was very concerned for me and went to the pharmacy to get me some stomach medicine. She came back 3 ½ hours later with a small package of powder, which I took, and 6 dresses, 4 shorts, 3 pairs of shoes, and a new cell phone. She is nothing if not true to her inner shopper. Basically the same thing happened again when she went for some Tylenol. Sure she loves me, but cannot pass up a bargain no matter what. I suppose I’ll always be OK… so long as my injury does not involve loss of blood. In that case I think I’m probably a goner, although she’ll be a well dressed and trendy widow.

We’re off on an out of city adventure today. Hope it is fun. You know, as opposed to boring. Will let you know. It will include the purchase of, and subsequent freeing of, one bird, one frog, and one turtle as explained earlier.

By the way, the one thing you cannot escape here is the US primary coverage. On TV, radio, and especially the newspaper, it is reported on, dissected, additionally commented on, and re-analyzed. If it is this crazy here, it’s gotta be crazy there for sure. The list of reasons “real” conservatives hate John McCain was discussed at length this morning and I came to realize, that I agreed with him on every point. I made up my mind Jan. 29th when I pulled the lever for him in Florida’s primary; I am backing him for President. But unlike the guy from Knoxville they showed on TV today, I will not have to “hold my nose as I pull the lever.”

So I’ll see you at the bottom, if there really is one
They always tell me when you get there you’ll know it, out
Ramblin’ Ed



All the flower sellers along the sidewalk. As luck would have it, it's Chinese New Year here.

A view of the wife scratching her butt at the pool. You are actually looking down the river as you recline.

This is my new flip flop. Of course, I had to ask myself, "Shock whhaaat??"



2 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, sounds like you had the Conintent hop knock you off your ass bug.

I had to laugh to what you said about Ms. Nong coming in with all of those clothes. I could picture it.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Parasquid said...

Ed,
glad you are having a great time dispite the sikness....the house remains in good shape with the animals....lol
mike

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home