Monday, February 07, 2005

Pretty nice guy

I'm a pretty nice guy. Read that correctly. I did not say pretty, nice guy. If I did I would say handsome. Off to a rough start already, aren't we?

The guy I bought my house from is a decent dude. Fair and honest like people in the south used to be all the time. Maybe it was the great yankee influx after air conditioning was invented and maybe things just changed with the passage of time. Either way, this guy didn't change.

It is time for him and his wife to move in with their daughter. Everyone agrees to that so there's no real drama there. She's having work done that effectively turns her house into a duplex so that when they move in they have a bit of privacy and independence. But that work is not yet complete.

We close on March 10th and he is so-o-o worried he'll be out on the street, even though both my dad and me have assured him that it's not the case. So I wrote both him and his daughter myself again. Here is an excerpt from what I sent to the daughter. It's a bit easier to post, since I had to write her father a letter longhand:

I will not do anything whatsoever, with the exception of making mortgage payments, with your folk's house until mid- to late August. Please rest assured that your folks can stay on there as long as they need to. I feel better the longer it is occupied, actually.

As for the whole rent thing, I need things to be legal. However, if letting them stay there rent free for a couple of months is legal in the eyes of bankers and lawyers, then I am all for that. They have been very gracious to me and the least I can do is return the favor.

If it turns out that a rent payment is in order, please help dad figure out the minimum that they can pay and let's do it. It doesn't sit well with me that your father should pay to stay on there a few months.

See, I told you I'm a pretty nice guy.

Peace,love and understanding (What's so funny 'bout?), out
Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed! "Don't fuck me up with peace and love"(Cracker)
Congratulations on your apparently soon to be retirement. I don't even think of the day...when it comes I'll probably cry like a baby.
So, here's to you from the head waters of the French Broad River in Transylvania...Sal Ute!
P.S. Sorry about the language.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Da Nada on the language, soldier. I'll check in on you from time to time.

By the way, I was almost a grunt. Was talking to the recruiter even. But end the end, the whole idea of being close enough to take small arms fire gave me pause. Hats off to you for that. Braver (crazier?) man than I.

Travelin' Ed

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home