Friday, July 29, 2005

Gambusia


This is old. I like it, but I know the person. If you're not as impressed with it, that's OK. That is, in fact, frequently a problem. I will gladly accept small lies and well meaning untruths. I've found that works for me.

A Wild Young Thing

Once upon a time but times are changing.
Another man would never catch your eye.
And love, it didn't call for rearranging.
But now it does and I can't tell you why.


This sharing souls and secrets is confusing.
'Cause I don't see no reasons we should lie.
I never thought we'd come to disillusion.
But now we have and I can't tell you why.


We called it love. We called a truce.
Began as jazz then turned to blues.
We grabbed the feelings that we had then rode them way up high.
But now we've slowly come apart and I can't tell you why.


A common thread was all we ever needed.
A tiny knot that tied your life to mine.
If there were signs then I could never see them.
We came undone and I can't tell you why.


I never asked you to betray your feelings.
But what all did you hide behind your smile?
A faithless promise is the same as stealing.
Now help me out, 'cause I can't tell you why.


We shared our lives. We bent the truth.
We played a game that we would lose.
We danced around the subject 'til we'd danced away the night.
I know just how we got here girl, but I can't tell you why.


If you had second thoughts then I can't blame you.
I'd never tell you how to live your life.
A wild young thing and I could never tame you.
You cut and ran but I can't tell you why.


So would you take a moment from your travels?
To rest a spell and maybe drop a line?
'Cause I'm left here with all that came unraveled.
You're gone for good and I can't tell you why.


I had a plan. Without a clue.
I was so deep in love with you.
You had a desperate feeling that got more pronounced with time.
You had to run for cover. Oh, but I can't tell you why.


We never told the truth although we never meant to lie.
I guess it got too crazy there but I can't tell you why.


Ed
Gambusia*


* I think I originally typed "Guam, USA", but it came out this.

4 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

I hope you can garden even half as well as you write darlin'. As always I am your #2 groupie- that one that stands behind only you.

I very mush like this one. Love the line began as jazz then turned to blues but then it has many great gotcha lines.

So.... do you actually like the car or just the sun and sounds?

6:48 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

PS i very much like this poem- no real need to get mushy but I did.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I haven't gone to get it yet. Have to wait for my ride up there to get done at the beauty shop.

Glad you liked the poem. Girl, I just love to write. It really makes me happy. Wish it paid something.

I can garden just as good as I write. None of this "half as good" business. Come by and see.

PS: I liked the line where you called me darlin'. It conjured up that picture of you in a swimsuit showing off your new tattoo. Yeah buddy, that was a mood killer. Haha.

Ed

7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like this one and dont like it for the same reason- I can feel it. I understand it more than I want to but at least the feelings are dressed nicely in well shaped words. -Jn

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home