Monday, July 18, 2005

In go fast mode

Okie dokie, the house is packed out and (hopefully) the loaner furniture is on the way. That's a load off. Now I just need to worry about getting the car properly junked and getting to the airport on time. That's easy, greasy.

The Coal Miner's Daughter is in go fast mode and writing circles around me. Both in the form of poems and in regular old posts. I no can keep pace this week. In fact, she even had the energy to take something of mine and something of hers and merge them together into something... of... hers. Hey, wait a minute! No, actually I say more power to her. I used to be like that right on up until I wasn't anymore.

Red Queen is road tripping up with the bears and rainbows and, I'm assuming, campfire coffee. I think I am jealous as all get out, even though I can't be because she's such a good friend and you don't get jealous of your friends. Anyway, that's the theory as I understand it. You know, if time and money were no object, I think I would just travel non-stop. Eat breakfast in Mobile then catch a tramp steamer into Central America where I'd hang out until deciding to take a train to Brazil...etc., etc. And, after a run through Scandinavia and Iceland, I'd never again go anywhere that was too cold for flip flops every day.

We've been subsisting for 3 days on pre-fabricated french bread pizzas, pre-fabricated cheese hot dogs and the kindness of our neighbors. I used to see moving every couple of years as an adventure. Now the adventure is a lot more like an unpleasant chore. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm at the age now where soft shag carpet, pants that got elastic so you don't need a belt, and mid-sized Buick sedans are all age appropriate.

I think starting tomorrow I'll be more back to normal, time wise and stress wise. I'm hoping to get this blogging back on track.

Travelin' Ed

4 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed,

Perhaps you will find in civilian life 'fun and stress' approximately 180 degrees out of phase. In the Nav, stress comes rumbling downhill daily from the tall mountain of military BS. While on the other hand, fun was automatically scheduled for you in the form of port calls in foreign countries. In America, if you are lucky enough to find decent and gainful employment, the stress levels from BS are not nearly so bad (but you will find the civilians complaining about very minor things). But, you will have less vacation time, and practically no half-days, so planning for your fun will be a challenge, wheather its vacations or weekends...
All this rambling to simply state: the worst will be over soon.

Pipedragger

10:20 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Yepper. I am going to hate to give up the paid holidays and half day Fridays. Not to mention 30 days a year paid leave.

Luckily, I am easily amused. I don't think planning fun will be a problem. I just won't be able to plan so much of it.

And I'm really not looking forward to all the pissy complaining. I keep telling myself I'll just let them whine and will say nothing. But I know myself too well to believe it.

Thanks, Mr. Dragger. See you in civyy land.
Ed

1:22 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Hey there- watch it on those buick sedan comments- mine is the supersized version with all the bells and whistles but still... and her name is Bella which becomes very understandable when you honk her horn!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

The full sized Buicks usually come a little later in life. For example: "I want a grand slam breakfast, and I want my senior citizen discount on it. And hurry it up, my big old Buick (with the turn signal still blinking, for I am not only a senior citizen driver, I am a YANKEE senior citizen driver)is double parked."

But then, you always were the mature one.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home