Friday, April 14, 2006

Crooked path

John Prine wrote the line about "it's a crooked piece of time that we live in". John Prine is a personal hero because he makes words dance. If you can make them dance you can mesmerize me. It's really pretty simple like that. OK... shiny objects kinda grab my attention, too.

My cats do not agree with my rules for being outside. They let me know that. Often. However, if they follow the rules I leave them alone. So they maintain the boundries of what I consider proper feline outdoor decorum pretty well these days. The neighbors are having less and less opportunity to joke about my "running of the cats". The cats call it a compromise...for now. I'll consider it sucessful training. And we will maintain this somewhat shakey truce we have going on here.

Keeping with the "crooked" theme, and really, crooked is a pretty great descriptor, here we go. Something from the archives:

A Crooked Path You’ll Wander

Wasn't worth the time it took

Time it was just wasted

I've looked for what I'd like to find
And fruits of life I've tasted


You've come and gone with much disdain

Of everything I've stood for

What I learned is that your word,
Was not what you were good for


Makes me smile to think a while

On what we almost finished

On what we did we meant to do

And what we did we didn't


So if a crooked path you choose

A crooked path you’ll wander

From point to point and in between

Don’t make the heart grow fonder


Wasn't worth the time it took

Time it was just wasted

I've looked for what I'd like to find

And fruits of life I've tasted


I’ve called out names in dark of night

That lasted but a moment

Pleasures that burned hotly bright

And turned on kisses stolen


You've come and gone with much disdain

Of everything I've stood for
What I learned is that your word,

Was not what you were good for


So you can take the games you’ve played

Spread out across the table

And move the pieces where you want

Wherever you are able


‘Cause if a crooked path you choose

A crooked path you’ll wander

From point to point and in between

Don’t make my heart grow fonder


Ed
Colorado Springs / Yokosuka


Some hair over the rain's bow, out
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

Yep, just like that!

4:43 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I think that is also why I am fascinated with a singer that was in his prime well before I was born... his way with words. I can remember as a child begging my father to put on his scratch record of Prine's first album and listening to it over and over.

Some of my favorite Prine lyrics off the top of my head:

"For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve." Spanish Pipedream

"When I die, let my ashes flow down the Green River. Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam. I'll be halfway to heaven with paradise waiting, just five miles away from where ever I am." Paradise

"Memories, they can't be boughten. Can't be why the carnivals for free." Souvenirs

"I've been thinking lately about the people I meet, the carwash on the corner and the hole in the street." Fish and Whistle

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home